Acer LCD question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer LCD question

I just took apart my Acer laptop since I'm going to be using it for a carputer. I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to this field, but i do have a background in computers and in car audio. My question is this: I'm stuck on the part of extending the LCD cable to reach the mobo. There's about 40 tiny wires and a weird plug. The reason I want to use this monitor albeit it's a little big (15.4"), I want to do this project as a proof of concept and spend as little money as possible. Eventually I will upgrade to a touchscreen, but for now I want to get this work to prove I can do it. Now before everyone tells me to search the forums and google, i've done that already. I want to get all possible opinions and expert advice before I hack up the lcd cable. Basically I'm asking for suggestions on how to extend this cable.

Attached are some pics.
    Connector on the mobo:
    Connector coming from screen:
    www.computer-forums.net

Wire cutters, spare wire, and solder.

Time to break out the old soldering iron!

Comment

Or, if the wires are long enough, just cut the wires and splice in some longer wire. That'd probably be easier given that the space of the pins for the plug is so small.

Comment

I would cut it in half, get a parallel cable or some other thin cable and wire it in between each half to the desired length.

Remember to put the Inverter closest to the screen. It wont power the backlight of the LCD very well if the inverter is left at the laptop.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...cable-faq.html

Comment

I think these wires have limits to how far they can travel. Im not sure tho, it may just be inverter ones that cant go far. I am also putting a 15.4" portrait screen in my car from a laptop, check it out.
          Continued Worklog... Upgrades in progress:
          *15.4" WXGA LED backlight touchscreen upgrade
          *Custom fiberglass dash bezel

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I was thinking of splicing and that's prob what I'm going to do, but I just wanted to make sure. The wires are so small, they're higher gauge than the wires inside a parallel cable and there's more of them. There's 40 wires, should I still just splice them?
            www.computer-forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by kostyanj View Post
              Thank you for the replies. I was thinking of splicing and that's prob what I'm going to do, but I just wanted to make sure. The wires are so small, they're higher gauge than the wires inside a parallel cable and there's more of them. There's 40 wires, should I still just splice them?
              use 2 parallel cables

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I've already decided to go with a touchscreen instead.
                www.computer-forums.net

Comment

Working...
                X