Questions about powering Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about powering Laptop

( Before someone makes a wise comment about reading FAQs, let me tell you that I've already done that and I'm still a little confused about the setup that I'm trying to do. )

After getting dissappointed with Jetway and M2-ATX problems I've decided to go with a laptop for my new setup and following are the things that I want to have in my setup

* Toshiba Qosmio laptop
    * 7" LCD
    * Powered USB hub

Now the questions that have are

1) What would be the best source to power the three devices ? I've looked into inverters and auto/air adaptors and the former one seems to be a better choise for laptop but how do I power USB hub and LCD ?

2) Between an inverter and auto/air adaptor, which one is better ? Are auto/air adapters regulated ?

3) If I go, inverter route what would be minimum power requirement that I would need ? (was looking at this one)

3) Do all laptops power up with the lid closed ?
    04 Accord Coupe Carputer

auto air adaptor is dc-dc, much better than an inverter

the lcd usually comes wit it's own dc regulator, & you could use a pol supply for usb like this for a simple easy setup...

also, depending on the voltage the laptop runs on, you may be able to adapt a regular dc-dc supply too, & have that also control startup/ shutdown...
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by ajamils View Post
      ( Before someone makes a wise comment about reading FAQs, let me tell you that I've already done that and I'm still a little confused about the setup that I'm trying to do. )

After getting dissappointed with Jetway and M2-ATX problems I've decided to go with a laptop for my new setup and following are the things that I want to have in my setup

* Toshiba Qosmio laptop
      * 7" LCD
      * Powered USB hub

Now the questions that have are

1) What would be the best source to power the three devices ? I've looked into inverters and auto/air adaptors and the former one seems to be a better choise for laptop but how do I power USB hub and LCD ?

2) Between an inverter and auto/air adaptor, which one is better ? Are auto/air adapters regulated ?

3) If I go, inverter route what would be minimum power requirement that I would need ? (was looking at this one)

3) Do all laptops power up with the lid closed ?

Avoid inverters if you can.
      here is how i did my laptop:
      I used three separate regulators 5V (for USB) 12 V (for touch screen), and laptop Auto/air.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-carputer.html

My auto/air powersupply warned against being pluged in while cranking engine but I have tank circuit so it is not an issue.

I'm using a docking station for the laptop,only issue is I have not hacked it to start laptop when I start truck, need to press button on docking station.

Comment

Working...
      X