Gateway Laptop Remote Power Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Laptop Remote Power Question

I recently found out what happens to a laptop when a 4 year old throws it down the stairs ... fortunately it was only 5 stairs ... unfortunately the screen was destroyed. Since this happened i figured i might as well make the laptop my car pc instead of building one from scratch to save some money. i have everyuthing hooked up and it works fine with the screen in my car ... unfortunately i can not figure out how to remotely start it. The laptop model is a Gateway MX3414. I looked on here about making a remote button however when i opened up my laptop there would be no way possible for me to do what they said. I was wondering if anyone knew of a nother way to turn on a laptop remotely ... maybe through the modem or cat5 connection ... or possibly through the power supply.

thanks in advance

if there are any threads already stating this that i may have overlooked please post them

Comment

search for wake on lan or wake on ring, but I would say that the best way is still to interface to the power switch itself... why can't you do that? can you see the power button inside the laptop?
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Or for a simple solution, leave the computer on suspend and use a wireless mouse to wake it up.

Comment

ehh i rather be able to turn it on and off through a switch

Comment

here are 2 pictures of the switch

Comment

ok, that is EZ...
              check this thread out, it has a pretty good discription of the process

just take a thin wire & make a jumper & guess at a pair of terminals, if it works then you found your points, if it don't work try another, repeat till you hit the pair that will start it up, then follow that thread for making your connection

good luck with it

I think I'm going to try to sticky that thread in the laptop forum for now, till I get a more polished tutorial togeather at least
              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
              X