Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant turn on laptop anymore :/

This is a Dell latitude D505 Laptop with 1,5 Ghz and 512 Mb Ram,

Been working inside computers many times before, but not laptops. and this kind of scares the heck out of me :P

First off i opened the laptop, and dismounted the screen. booted it up with my touchscreen and installed windows and the proper software for a carputer. And this has been working for over a year. But i changed car and the computer was stashed away. still working..

Now i found out that i wanted to add an extra power switch so i wont have to go back in the car and turn on/off the laptop normally. So i started with a little wire, stripped at both ends.. This to find out where i need to put the power switch wires.

Tried all possible connections and nothing happens. and now i tried to start the laptop normally, nothing happens. what did i do wrong?

Added some pics.

Thanks for help and sorry for typos :P
    Attached Files

nothing you could have jumped on that switch should damage anything. before you tried the button thing, when was the last time it started normally? did you put all the screws back in? sometimes the screws hold parts togeather & need compression to make contact. what else did you touch?
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Remove the laptop battery, press the power-button a few times, and then insert the battery - leave it out for a few minutes at least.

Turbocad6 is correct, if you did not short anything else with the jumper, all should be ok.

Maybe invest in a small digital multimeter, and measure continuity next time....will minimize chances of accidentally killing something.
      F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

oops

is it possible you slipped with your little jumper and accidentally touched that silver shielding thats ungodly close to the power switch?

By the way its much better and easier to use the switch that monitors the Laptop LID or LCD screen.. put a relay on the lid switch and when you turn the key on or off the laptop thinks you opened or closed the lid.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
          nothing you could have jumped on that switch should damage anything. before you tried the button thing, when was the last time it started normally? did you put all the screws back in? sometimes the screws hold parts togeather & need compression to make contact. what else did you touch?
          It started fine when i put it away, but i did not try to start it before i started with the jumper thing... all screws are in place and still the same issue. i was wery carefull when i used the jumper, i know what can happen if i use it at the wrong place :P

Originally posted by mrbean_phillip View Post
          Remove the laptop battery, press the power-button a few times, and then insert the battery - leave it out for a few minutes at least.

Turbocad6 is correct, if you did not short anything else with the jumper, all should be ok.

Maybe invest in a small digital multimeter, and measure continuity next time....will minimize chances of accidentally killing something.
          Tried the battery thing, but it didnt work im pretty shure i didnt short anything else with the jumper...

Originally posted by pir8radio View Post
          is it possible you slipped with your little jumper and accidentally touched that silver shielding thats ungodly close to the power switch?

By the way its much better and easier to use the switch that monitors the Laptop LID or LCD screen.. put a relay on the lid switch and when you turn the key on or off the laptop thinks you opened or closed the lid.
          No, thats not possible, as i said earlier, i was wery carefull when i used the jumper. ive thinked about it, but i want to have a button to turn on and off the computer as i dont think its nessesary to turn on the comp when my ride to work only takes 10 mins :P

And i think i have a new carcomputer, so my dell will be placed in the not used section :P

Sorry for typos and thanks for answers

Comment

Working...
          X