Rookie question here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie question here

Say I take my older laptop and make it into a car PC. I would have to pick up a touch screen. This is basic of basic here but what do you do if you need a keyboard? Is there such a thing as it coming up on your touch screen? I have no experience with this stuff and have been reading everything I can here but haven't seen that addressed or I missed it.

Originally posted by PittsburghProud View Post
    Is there such a thing as it coming up on your touch screen?
    If you are running XP, try this:

Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->Accessibility->On-screen Keyboard

That answer your question? There are other versions also.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I have a bluetooth mini keyboard/trackball I keep behind the seat. Like the one here.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-WIRELE...QQcmdZViewItem

If it's an older laptop that doesn't have bluetooth built in, you would need a usb adapter too. Microsoft or logitech has good wireless keyboard/mice, but I like having both in one unit.
      My opinion is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey View Post
        If you are running XP, try this:

Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->Accessibility->On-screen Keyboard

That answer your question? There are other versions also.
        Perfect! Yes Running XP and just what I was wondering thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by danielkh View Post
          I have a bluetooth mini keyboard/trackball I keep behind the seat. Like the one here.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-WIRELE...QQcmdZViewItem

If it's an older laptop that doesn't have bluetooth built in, you would need a usb adapter too. Microsoft or logitech has good wireless keyboard/mice, but I like having both in one unit.
          Not a bad option either but I like the windows version at the moment.

Comment

It is a decent option, however, try this (I found this problem right away). Think of a 7 inch window, then shrink that onscreen keyboard down to fit in that window. Now try to press ONE key. It's not easy.

Truth is you rarely need one. so even a usb keyboard that plugs into the laptop will work.
            My opinion is my own.

Comment

It is a decent option, however, try this (I found this problem right away). Think of a 7 inch window, then shrink that onscreen keyboard down to fit in that window. Now try to press ONE key. It's not easy.

Truth is you rarely need one. so even a usb keyboard that plugs into the laptop will work.
              Got ya , like me trying to text message with my tiny @#$ cell phone. But really would you need a keyboard that often? I was thinking something around 10" screen It is a full size van so I can work with a larger screen.
              Very good point.

Comment

I use a keyboard when I am sitting at a customer site and bored waiting. I'll start surfing the internet. But normal operation? Not really. Just need it for emergencies (lockups or touch quits working). Truth is, with the front end software, all buttons are enlarged to see, but with normal windows, even at 640x480, stuff is too small to read and use clearly (the need for a keyboard).
                My opinion is my own.

Comment

I use a keyboard when I am sitting at a customer site and bored waiting. I'll start surfing the internet. But normal operation? Not really. Just need it for emergencies (lockups or touch quits working). Truth is, with the front end software, all buttons are enlarged to see, but with normal windows, even at 640x480, stuff is too small to read and use clearly (the need for a keyboard).
                  OK, let me ask you this... You surf the web... Now do you have one of those cell phone cards for the machine or do you just suck up wireless when ever you can. I don't think I'd buy the card but I'd know where all the hot spots are.

Comment

My company supplied EVDO cards. When I just had a laptop, I would go around to hotels and hook up free. Not the safest plan. The EVDO cards are really fast. It's nice being linked in the middle of nowhere. Also, something to keep in mind, USB ports. If you are using a laptop, you don't want anything in the PCMCIA slot other than more USB ports. My company switched to another phone service so I was able to go to a USB EVDO. Here is a list of possible ports you will need.....

1) DVD drive
                    2) Satellite radio
                    3) GPS receiver
                    4) Hub for external jumpdrives, phone charger, etc.
                    5) EVDO Network device
                    6) IPOD
                    7a) Volume control knob. Touch is nice, but not fast enough.
                    8) OBDII device
                    9) USB Microphone
                    10) Sound card
                    11) Touchscreen
                    12) Bluetooth
                    13) Wireless

and if you are going to add it....

14) Radio hardware
                    15) Bluetooth phone
                    My opinion is my own.

Comment

My company supplied EVDO cards. When I just had a laptop, I would go around to hotels and hook up free. Not the safest plan. The EVDO cards are really fast. It's nice being linked in the middle of nowhere. Also, something to keep in mind, USB ports. If you are using a laptop, you don't want anything in the PCMCIA slot other than more USB ports. My company switched to another phone service so I was able to go to a USB EVDO. Here is a list of possible ports you will need.....

1) DVD drive
                      2) Satellite radio
                      3) GPS receiver
                      5) EVDO Network device
                      6) IPOD
                      8) OBDII device
                      9) USB Microphone
                      10) Sound card
                      11) Touchscreen
                      12) Bluetooth
                      13) Wireless

14) Radio hardware
                      15) Bluetooth phone

Thank you for taking the time to coach me a little here.

1) DVD drive
                      Built in Laptop
                      2) Satellite radio
                      Don't own one yet
                      3) GPS receiver
                      I'll pick up a middle of the road receiver.
                      Definitely want one, have to pick one of those up also.
                      5) EVDO Network device
                      Not sure if I'll get one
                      6) IPOD
                      I have the bigger Ipod, the one with the small screen and like 30 gig hard drive
                      OK, I'll have to take your word for that.
                      8) OBDII device
                      Honestly not sure what that is. But I bet I'll have to get one.
                      9) USB Microphone
                      Mic's are cheap enough so I'll pick one up. I would think the built in one wouldn't work because of placement.
                      10) Sound card
                      Built in unless I should change it.
                      11) Touchscreen
                      Digging those 10.8 or something around that size.
                      12) Bluetooth
                      Phone is bluetooth so yes that would be a nice feature to have. I would need that as well.
                      13) Wireless
                      Not real sure I'll do that but maybe

14) Radio hardware
                      That would depend on what I buy but I'm with ya.
                      15) Bluetooth phone
                      Phone is blue tooth so I'm ok there.

So with this alone I have a basic shopping list of things to round up. My van has been parked for winter and in the next moth or so I'll be getting it back out and back on the road. Winter and gas prices suck around here and it has been parked while I drive a winter beater (a Saturn) 35 bucks fills the tank. Anyhow I need to get busy rounding things up.

Comment

I think I ask this in another thread but what about the cd try? Will I need to take it out of the laptop and mount it in the dash or would it be better just to buy another one and install that in the dash?

Comment

Actually, the only thing I have suggested other than a keyboard is......

PCMCIA 4 port USB card......$5 on e-bay. lol

All that other stuff was to show a need for it. The absolute best idea is to take your time, buy what is necessary, then try it. You will see quickly what you do and do not need.
                          My opinion is my own.

Comment

Actually, the only thing I have suggested other than a keyboard is......

PCMCIA 4 port USB card......$5 on e-bay. lol

All that other stuff was to show a need for it. The absolute best idea is to take your time, buy what is necessary, then try it. You will see quickly what you do and do not need.

I hear ya but a lot of the stuff really isn't a ton of cash. With a full size van you think a 10 or so inch screen would be the ticket?

Comment

I don't recommend anything I haven't tried. But I will tell you what I'd do. Do a search for Van and see what they are using. I went with the monitor I have (xenarc 700TSV) because everyone that had done 350Z's said it was a perfect fit. So try to find people that have already done what you want to do. When you get into touchsceens, the price goes up really fast with size. Heck, I just found a $100 device that almost wipes out the need for a touchscreen altogether.....

http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Produ...=1&leftMenu=26

It's got 5 programmable buttons, which cover the main screens like: Navigation, Music, Satellite Radio, pictures, and I programmed the 5th button just to go to the home screen. It's got fast forward, rewind, play/pause, previous song (works with music and radio), next song, volume, mute, and a scroll knob to go through music or stations. It's not perfect, but for a budget, would work fine while mobile. However, mounting it is a bear as it's made for a desktop and not a radio hole. Another problem with it, in your plan, is that it has to be tied into the motherboard power. Not sure how you could do it with a laptop. But even then, could it be more cost effective to get a carputer, larger non-touchmonitor, and an Imon? Or go with the laptop and and a smaller touch.

Come to think of it, since I have installed the Imon, I don't remember ever using the touchscreen while driving.
                              My opinion is my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X