Power Button problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Button problem

I have a gateway 7508gx laptop. I looked at the power button and im not going to beable to hack it. I want to be able to just use a cigg adapter to power it but I cant figure away to turn the laptop on without lifting the lid and hitting power button. I dont see any wake on anything in the bios either.

Other options?

I really dont want to go with a dock either. Just wondering if anyone has thought of something else then what I have seen in the FAQs

Comment

Originally posted by americanskiff View Post
      I looked at the power button and im not going to beable to hack it
      why not?
      F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
      Fusion Carputer [2.0]
      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Would rather just go with laptop no dock if possible

Comment

?? ??

did you read the quote above the "why not?"

...I was asking why you think your laptop's power button cannot be "hacked"
          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Ohhh....Well, I wont be able to hack it. The circuit board below the power button is a very small strip and where the power button is it is very very very small. With a eye I cant even tell where the contacts are for it.

Comment

I called and asked a few electronics places if they could do it and they warned right off that if something broke or melted they would not be responsible if it did not work again. Doesnt sound good to me

Comment

Well, I wont be able to hack it. The circuit board below the power button is a very small strip and where the power button is it is very very very small. With a eye I cant even tell where the contacts are for it.
                all laptop power buttons are tiny. if you can't see the 'contacts' on the switch then it may have leads that go through the circuit board, soldered on the other side. if that's the case then it would be easier to solder than other laptops (which use surface mount switches).
                Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Plus, the power button is uses low current, not enough to melt anything.
                  "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                  "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                  [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

I called and asked a few electronics places if they could do it and they warned right off that if something broke or melted they would not be responsible if it did not work again. Doesnt sound good to me
                    Where are you located? If you are near Maine, I would be willing to solder the wires to the switch for you.

Rick

Comment

yeah like what fusion fanatic said (not to repeat but just to confirm and give you a bit more confidence), sounds like your actually going to have the easier setup that most of us that had our surface mount switches soldered to our power buttons. just reverse the pcb board its soldered to and youd probably find the extended wires from the switch with a nice suitable solderable (if there is such a word) square piece of soldering lead in it.

i dont see any other way of turning your laptop on if you dont want the lid open whenever you do. are you thinking somewhere in the lines of a boot on power thing? also most laptops dont really boot with the lid closed. what some would do esp if your laptop is old would be removing the magnet or small clip that the lid would enter through whenver you close your laptop to trick it. though your screen would still be on the whole time.

Comment

pictures with good macro shots & better advice can be given, but there is no question the best & sometimes only reliable way of using a laptop is by hacking the switch...

the few gateways I've worked with have been EZ compared to others.... pictures will help alot...
                        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I had a similar problem

On my IBM T43 the power button is integrated into the keyboard - nowhere to solder it unless I cut off the button. In a moment of bravery, I removed the keyboard and grounded each pin of the keyboard connector with the machine off. I quickly found the power button pin. The keys are controlled by combinations of pins, but the power button should have one line. The solder point was damn small though.

At work there are some solder stations, so I had a tech do it for me. He turns his microscope and light source, and it's done in a minute or so. I routed it out the modem port. I didn't have that sharp solder tip he used either, so I could see not being able to do this at home... although I'd probably try. The end result was great.

I see some of the buttons on other machines and I'm envious. If only it were always that easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X