Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to 12vdc or not to 12vdc a laptop,,??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • to 12vdc or not to 12vdc a laptop,,??

    that is the question?
    >>
    have a hp omnibook, battery is cactus!!,
    will be mounting this as my dash computer, in my van,
    is more power used inverting 12v>240v>>12vdc , or is it the same amount used as 12vdc>>12vdc.
    because if more power is used, inverting,, i will get a 12vdc>12vdc adapter?
    and completely go whole car computer in 12vdc?
    thanks already
    fbear

  • #2
    Get a 12vdc car adapter.
    It's more efficient and less prone to inducing noise from EMI in your system.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks darque will do.
      this is a great link on how to pull a lcd screen out of lap top,
      hope it is helpful for some.
      http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-remo...n,compaq.shtml
      cheers
      fbear

      Comment


      • #4
        Here's a site that sells 12v power supplies for tons of laptops:
        http://www.epowersupply.us/models.php/13,Hp

        I ordered a couple, will report back when I've had a chance to try them.

        I'm running 12v --> inverter --> laptop power supply --> laptop right now and the inverter gets pretty hot after a while. I'm hoping that skipping the 120v stage will mean a lot less heat going into my carpc compartment.

        Comment


        • #5
          yes nsfw,, it is a little silly for the designers of all these devices to only need 12v, for them to design them all, to only run on 120v>240v?
          anyways, hope they slowly change all this?
          with ssd,s and all the new computers coming out, it wont be long before a computer, will be the size of a cig box, and only need milli amps to run??
          already the i.phones are nearly like this now?
          so hopefully by next year, we wont need even 12v, to run anything, will all be small battery?
          cheers
          fbear

          Comment


          • #6
            my EEE PC take in 12V DC, but i know that my car battery produce voltage from 11V to 14V

            Anyway simple way to regulate the voltage as I don't want to fry my EEE PC

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kwchan View Post
              my EEE PC take in 12V DC, but i know that my car battery produce voltage from 11V to 14V

              Anyway simple way to regulate the voltage as I don't want to fry my EEE PC
              With a 12V DC--DC Regulator,
              dear Liza, dear Liza....
              It's been a while...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fallingbear View Post
                that is the question?
                >>
                have a hp omnibook, battery is cactus!!,
                will be mounting this as my dash computer, in my van,
                is more power used inverting 12v>240v>>12vdc , or is it the same amount used as 12vdc>>12vdc.
                because if more power is used, inverting,, i will get a 12vdc>12vdc adapter?
                and completely go whole car computer in 12vdc?
                thanks already
                fbear
                Only do this for laptops that run in the 10 to 15 volt range. I did this for my toshiba (uses 15 volts), however my new dell (20 volts) turns off when the sub thumps. If you can build your own dc upstepper (find an old PC PSU) do it. if your worried about voltage drops because of your sound system hook up a .5 farad capacitor in parallel with the laptop, this should keep the voltage spikes from harming your laptop.
                My Blog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fallingbear View Post
                  yes nsfw,, it is a little silly for the designers of all these devices to only need 12v, for them to design them all, to only run on 120v>240v?
                  anyways, hope they slowly change all this?
                  with ssd,s and all the new computers coming out, it wont be long before a computer, will be the size of a cig box, and only need milli amps to run??
                  already the i.phones are nearly like this now?
                  so hopefully by next year, we wont need even 12v, to run anything, will all be small battery?
                  cheers
                  fbear
                  One can only dream, however voltage is a measure of how much force is under the electrons, we are going to be at 12v for a while.
                  the iPhone is 3.7v like ALL other cell phone's and PDA's.
                  My Blog

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hawkeyefile View Post
                    One can only dream, however voltage is a measure of how much force is under the electrons, we are going to be at 12v for a while.
                    the iPhone is 3.7v like ALL other cell phone's and PDA's.
                    FYI: some PDAs differ and run 5V. That's good for USB charging direct, with no adapting involved.
                    2001 New Beetle Sport 1.8T, 14 PSI
                    My Youtube Vids
                    Active Member of vwvortex.com and newbeetle.org
                    1st Carputer install in May, 1999

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X