Inspiron on/off switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiron on/off switch

Hey guys.. quick question... the power switch circuit board on my inspiron 8100 looks like this

its the leftmost button. how would you recommend I wire this up so i can extend a wire to my dash to startup/shut down the laptop?

Or is a carnetix controller a better investment? i keep looking at all the power supplies and startup controllers and most of them have ATX connectors... are they also plug and play with laptops or would i have to do some of my own wiring to get it to work?

Check the link in my sig...it might help.
    -WarDriver-
    Server Administrator
    Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
    My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

Thanks, but the switch you have in your link is different from what my laptop has. Any idea how i should wire this up? I tried looking for a dock, but i can't find any for this particular laptop just yet. Should i go for a universal dock like the Targus?

Comment

different switch but same theory - locate the physical switch, pull out the mulit-meter and check for connectivity - solder and fabricate from there. I would stay away from the targus universals. We had a few at work and I was not impressed - everything was pushed over USB - a normal dock would be a physical extension of the actual hardware.
        -WarDriver-
        Server Administrator
        Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
        My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

the Dell docking station for Inspiron 8100 is model# PRX part# 7345U.

I have one that I already wired the power button on (my old carPC was a Dell Inspiron 8000, which uses the same docking station). I gave the 8000 to a friend, but I still have the docking station. I was going to put it on eBay, but if you're interested I'll sell it to you for $10 plus actual shipping cost. PM me if you're interested.

here's a pic of the docking station when I had it installed in my trunk (ignore the wire mess )

F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Working...
          X