Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all the CARPC ers Using Laptops - Day of Joy

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/02/23...p-dock-for-23/

Targus Universal Laptop Dock - $22 with free shipping! AWESOME!

I'm not sure this fits the category posted in, but the price was awesome. I was going to pick one up to use with an embedded platform perhaps, but buy.com link now goes to " Sorry, this product is no longer sold at the Buy.com website." The next cheapest found on Froogle is $37.99 for a 'factory recertified' unit.

Comment

sorry guys! It seemed like the right part of the forum.

Comment

You need to search the forums before posting about products that you are the new flavor of awesomesauce.
        These are crappy port replicators.
        You still have to run cables to it for audio, VGA, etc. The only thing you save is a couple USB cable runs.
        And then you have to power the port replicator, requiring running power cables and drawing even more power.
        And then this chunk of plastic takes up space in your dash or console or wherever.

For a vehicle install, I believe port replicators are more hassle than they are worth. There is almost no benefit to using one, and then you have the potential problems of devices connected through a USB hub, which are very well documented on these forums.
        Sorry, but even at $22.00, it's not worth it.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          These are crappy port replicators.
          You still have to run cables to it for audio, VGA, etc. The only thing you save is a couple USB cable runs.
          Not quite, this is one of the newer generation of USB port replicators that all you need to run is a single USB port. Video and audio and all other ports on it are done via USB.

Handy for take-and-go laptop users, since you need to have only one cable to plug into your laptop. Though, for permanent installs, you're on the money for it not being as useful, though you'd only have to run one wire to a trunk PC.

Comment

Tom61 pretty much summed it up. Supposedly these port replicators have issues with large screens and delays, but smaller screens like the lilliput are supposed to be better.

Comment

So..

what to do about the power plug required by the targus unit?

i'm really interested in this because I'm going to have a really hard time sending 15 feet of vga cable from front to rear

Comment

Working...
              X