Start laptop when AC Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start laptop when AC Power

Well, Unlike most people I was unwilling to rip apart my laptop to get a boot wire running through my car. So being lazy ol' me I found out a way to boot your laptop when you have AC Power out of hibernation.

First if you don't have this, go grab it!
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/othe...hibernate.html
    Puts your laptop into hibernation when AC power is removed.

1) Start up scheduled tasks in Windows
    2) Create Task
    3) Under General Tab make sure you have a Name and run it with "Highest Privileges"
    4) Go to triggers tab and create new trigger
    5) Choose daily and set a start time anytime about 5+ minutes ahead. along with "Repeat task every 1 minute or lower" if possible "for a duration of: indefinate".
    6) Click ok and go to actions and create new
    7) Choose "Action: Display a message" with Title and Message whatever you want.
    8) Go to conditions and make sure
    "Start task only if computer is on AC Power"
    "Stop if computer switches to battery"
    "Wake computer to run this task"
    9) Click ok and save in!

Now when the time comes and it is run "or you click run" it will run it every minute or whatever you choose till AC Power is found. Then it will kick you out of hibernation mode so you can do what you need to!

Hope this helped out a bit

So I'm guessing the "highest privileges" setting gives it permission to run while hibernating? What about power consumption? How long do you think it would take to empty the battery on the laptop by running this process?

Comment

So you are saying a program can start running with a laptop is off? With hibernation, the computer doesnt use power. Nothing short of bios should be able to run during hibernation.
      Acer Netbook with 160hdd and 1.60 Ghtz atom - to be installed

Comment

Yes, what happens is the computer will not boot out of hibernation till "AC Power" is received. It will boot it out of hibernation since it believes there is a necessary task. Also, the computer shouldn't be using too much power because it is running by computer internal clock.

Comment

I believe you mean standby. Cuz it doesn't work in hibernate mode. It works in standby mode, however not too great for a car pc as it could possibly take an entire minute for it to find ac power.

Comment

I believe you mean standby. Cuz it doesn't work in hibernate mode. It works in standby mode, however not too great for a car pc as it could possibly take an entire minute for it to find ac power.
            Nope, I mean hibernation and it works in hibernation. Also, it isn't the best method for powering a CarPC but its the one that takes the least effort and hacking.

Comment

K, maybe just on your pc...I'm running xp sp3 and it comes out of standby perfectly but nothing for hibernation..

Comment

Enable hibernation and try it again. Be sure you did the right instructions and that it doesn't stop the task when using batteries.
                (I originally did this on Windows 7 as my CarOS but moved to XP and it still works)

Comment

This doesn't work for me even using "standby". I'm using XP Pro SP3 on a Sony VAIO laptop. The conditions you show in your Step 8 are a little different than in my version of "Scheduled Tasks". Under the "Settings" tab at the bottom under "Power Management" there are three check boxes--
                  "Don't start the task if the computer is running on batteries."
                  "Stop the task if battery mode begins."
                  "Wake the computer to run the task."
                  There is no option for ""Start task only if computer is on AC Power" . No matter what combinations of "Power Management" you use it will not wake from hibernate when AC power is reconnected. If you set the "Auto Hibernate.exe" to "Standby" and check only "Wake the computer to run the task.", when the AC power is removed it will endlessly cycle between "Standby" and "Fully On" until the AC power is reconnected. Not sure how to get your version of "Scheduled Tasks".

Comment

ditto

Comment

when its in hibernate, windows isnt running. its the equivalent of being off, just it saves the ram to the hard drive. if software wakes it up, your computer isnt going into hibernate.
                      Acer Netbook with 160hdd and 1.60 Ghtz atom - to be installed

Comment

will this work to wake the laptop from standby...??
                        thats the onlything missng from putting my msi wind in the car... i need a way to start it up, and cant get wake on lan to work

Comment

It's called your finger.... Just kidding. Do you mean you're mounting it in a location that isn't within your reach?

I couldn't get my Aspire to wake on lan either. If I wanted to I could build the momentary power switch, but for right now I'll stick to pushing the power button and letting software turn it off.

Has anyone gotten the OPs method to work in any form or fashion (hibernate [which I really suspect wouldn't work like others] or standby)?

Comment

Originally posted by marazi View Post
                            will this work to wake the laptop from standby...??
                            thats the onlything missng from putting my msi wind in the car... i need a way to start it up, and cant get wake on lan to work
                            I too am running an MSI wind. I have it in my glove box and its just annoying to reach in there and turn it on everytime i get in my car. What i did was tell it to allow the touchscreen to wake it up from standby. So whenever i get in my car i just tap the screen and windows pops right up and im good to go. Now the only problem i get is that the battery doesnt last very long in standby. Not 100% sure why not or how to get it to last longer but its really annoying me now!

Comment

Originally posted by dragons0088 View Post
                              I too am running an MSI wind. I have it in my glove box and its just annoying to reach in there and turn it on everytime i get in my car. What i did was tell it to allow the touchscreen to wake it up from standby. So whenever i get in my car i just tap the screen and windows pops right up and im good to go. Now the only problem i get is that the battery doesnt last very long in standby. Not 100% sure why not or how to get it to last longer but its really annoying me now!
                              You are keeping in mind that anything connected to your USB ports are sucking up power right? If you have a long enough drive to recharge the batteries think about the 9 cell. http://gizmodo.com/5208885/msi-wind-...t-and-day-long

Comment

Working...
                              X