Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netbook as removable movie player for kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Netbook as removable movie player for kids

    I have a 6yo and a 3yo. The current portable DVD player is crap and the DVDs are easily scratched by little fingers. I was thinking of getting a netbook since it's a full package and there's lots of 12v adapters on the market. The real questions are how to mount it so it's easily removable (hotels, grandma's, etc.), a 2nd screen???, and what interface would be best suited for a 6yo with an IR/RF remote? It's just going to be loaded with movie rips of the DVDs that aren't total crap yet. I run linux as my desktop OS, so platform/interface choice is open. Boot speed is optional, just need ease of use.

    Thanks for any help,
    Traigo

  • #2
    not 100% sure is this is right forum, but my Acer tablet PC has nice flip screen so u van use Cwbrtrafuse and load all kovues u want there. There are bags that would hold pc to your seats....

    HOWEVER: if you consider safry concerns any parts that are movable in the car present extrem danger in case of thye accident. in study by Volvo dvd player that was wirestrapped to headrest of the seat in case of the cash takes of and brakes through the seat... quite dangeroud if u look at the video... so i would persoally rather go with permament dvd mount in the car and convert your DVDs to DVix and carry them on USB Drive (maybe more expansive but safer)
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
    3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by traigo View Post
      I have a 6yo and a 3yo. The current portable DVD player is crap and the DVDs are easily scratched by little fingers. I was thinking of getting a netbook since it's a full package and there's lots of 12v adapters on the market. The real questions are how to mount it so it's easily removable (hotels, grandma's, etc.), a 2nd screen???, and what interface would be best suited for a 6yo with an IR/RF remote? It's just going to be loaded with movie rips of the DVDs that aren't total crap yet. I run linux as my desktop OS, so platform/interface choice is open. Boot speed is optional, just need ease of use.

      Thanks for any help,
      Traigo
      This must be my day for responding to old posts. In any case...for any new visitors to this post. I use my EEEPC as my carPC and have it mounted under the passenger front car seat. It is still very mobile.. for example earlier this summer my fiance and I took a road trip and I was able to remove my eeepc from my car and use it in the hotel room by connecting it to a small pc-to-tv converter box so that we could watch some avi's. On the weekends I also take it inside my home and use it for streaming movies over wifi in the living room.

      I use Ubuntu and the media center I use is XBMC which I navigate with a Wii remote using bluetooth connectivity. See my worklog link located in my signature below.
      "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
      Recent Proj
      Old Proj II
      Old Proj I
      YouTube:Project Videos
      Homepage: HexxWorld.net
      Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey guys pleasse help me out .
        I am thinking of buying a new netbook having elegant skin, Could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing good netbook skins?

        Comment


        • #5
          arjen20, i think you are in the wrong forum.
          This one is about CarPC and word "skin" here us used as GUI interface of program that is manageing your in car computer. =)
          Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
          Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
          3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

          Comment


          • #6
            I looking for a smart Acer netbook skins is having all the qualities for which i m looking for, Is this website is really good in providing notebooks with elegant skins? I am going to buy a new netbook.

            Acer netbook skins

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by forlan2074 View Post
              I looking for a smart Acer netbook skins is having all the qualities for which i m looking for, Is this website is really good in providing notebooks with elegant skins? I am going to buy a new netbook.

              Acer netbook skins
              what? what skin are you talking about? you really just said that your looking for something your looking for...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


              next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by arjen20 View Post
                Hey guys pleasse help me out .
                I am thinking of buying a new netbook having elegant skin, Could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing good netbook skins?
                I purchased my netbook 10" from Angle. may be you will find something you need www.happyshoppinglife.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  For entertaining rugrats, a "media player" like the WD TV combined with either a small DVI monitor or normal car display could work. Load a heap of kid's movies onto a USB drive and there you go. There's 720p media players for under $50 that may not be home theater quality, but would be fine for car use. Some under $30 on eBay if you don't need HDMI or digital audio out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am using this netbook (AO532h-2268: 160 GB, 1 GB) in a month and has exceeded my expectations. I expected more "traps". I can recommend safe and confident in similar applications.

                    acer netbook skins

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X