Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop in car

Didnt really know where to put this so i put it here, well anyway here goes

looking to put a laptop in my car and dont want it to start everytime i put the key in the ignition, so wat i am looking to do is to incorporate a button into my dash that turns the laptop on.. only i have no idea how to do this lol, do i just extend the normal laptop on/off switch or go through a power pack or something?

thanks in advanced

Just extend the power button.
    That's the easiest method, but there are others.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Some people buy a dock for the laptop and extend the power switch from the dock. It can sometimes be easier than soldering inside the laptop.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

how would i go about doing this?

dont have a clue lol

Comment

What i did is open up the back of the laptop and fin the back of the power switch that starts the laptop. On mine it was a pain to branch into the switch as mine had like a mini ide cable that i had to burn and cut to ge tto the wires. i then extended them out of the side of the case and to the front of the car. Then i just wired a laptop car charger onto the ignition to charge the laptop when it is running.

Comment

I know that I am responding to an old post...but in case there are new visitors to this post. I actually performed an internal mod on my netbook. Soldered two phone cables to the switch and solder the other end to the modem port (which I do not use). I soldered phone cable (rj11) to a momentary switch I purchased from the MP3Car store. The cable plugs into the modem port on the netbook which respond when i press the button.

Newer Laptops or netbooks no doubt probably do not have modem ports...not sure..some may. But perhaps a similar mod can be tweeked for external power switch. See my worklog link in my signature.
            "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
            Recent Proj
            Old Proj II
            Old Proj I
            YouTube:Project Videos
            Homepage: HexxWorld.net
            Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

Comment

Working...
            X