What kind of Momentary Switch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Momentary Switch?

So I'm about to solder some wires on to my power button but I'm not sure what kind of switch I need. Someone told me I need a DPST. Is this true?

TIA

a momentary switch is a switch that will only make contact when you push it. a standard switch will stay in whatever position you put it in-- which could be bad for a power button.

i think you should only need a single pole single throw (SPST) switch-- that makes contact when pressed. though a double pole single throw(DPST) switch will work, you will just leave the N.C.(Normally Closed) contact not connected.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Excellent thanks for the clarification

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
        a momentary switch is a switch that will only make contact when you push it. a standard switch will stay in whatever position you put it in-- which could be bad for a power button.

i think you should only need a single pole single throw (SPST) switch-- that makes contact when pressed. though a double pole single throw(DPST) switch will work, you will just leave the N.C.(Normally Closed) contact not connected.
        doesnt double pole mean there is two sets of switches? and single throw means only one acting contact... but yeah either way SPST is all you need.

Comment

yes, i guess i was thinking of a dpdt switch...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

As stated just make sure it states "normally open" on the packaging as well. Unless you want it to constantly turn on and off. =)
            2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
            Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping this arcade machine button will work. It would go perfect in my car.

Basically one of these:http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5891xxl.htm

Comment

From what I read it will work. The microswitch has three post 1. Com 2. (NO) Normally Open 3. (NC) Normally Closed.

So I believe I will need to just hook the two leads from the power button to the COM and NO

Comment

That should work fine, but just so you know, the power button does not stop power from being consumed by the PC and draining the battery. An intelligent DC-DC PSU is the best choice for automotive use.

Comment

Ummm.... I planned on taking a laptop auto/air adapter and hard wiring it to the cigarette lighter. Won't that prevent the laptop from draining my battery?

I don't understand how to plug the laptop into the p1900. Is there a diagram somewhere?

Comment

Is the lighter plug constantly powered or switched by the ignition key? If it's not switched, it will drain the battery. If it is, the laptop won't have enough time to fully charge most of the time.

Comment

What do I need to hook up a P1900?

Comment

Originally posted by revbjeff View Post
                          What do I need to hook up a P1900?
                          Probably should have clarified this first. So if I understand correctly, you want to hook up:

a CNX-P1900 via
                          a soldered lead going to
                          a laptop

I've never used or tried this, but it is selectable for 19v output, so.. I assume the powerbrick for the laptop at or lower than 115watts (19v x 6.whateveritwas amps)?

I didn't look at any spec sheet for it, but it doesn't seem to have any timer settings. As in letting it stay on for x amount after the ignition has been turned off. If true, then as previously stated this will cause an issue over time either by draining your battery consistantly due the CNX being on constantly until it detects a low voltage issue, or your laptop not being charged sufficiently due to it being turned off right away all the time.

If you just plan on swapping it in and out alot, then the later should be fine.

This momentary switch is for the shutdown controller on the CNX, correct?
                          Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

No. Sorry my plans are

Car/Air Adapter to laptop and cigarette power
                            Momentary switch to laptop power to turn on from drivers seat

Comment

Originally posted by revbjeff View Post
                              No. Sorry my plans are

Car/Air Adapter to laptop and cigarette power
                              Momentary switch to laptop power to turn on from drivers seat
                              points here:
                              1. Most laptops are 19.5volts. Directly plugging in your laptop will only supply 13.5.
                              [Your powerbrick and/or spec sheet for your laptop will list this.]
                              2. This may or may not be enough, but if it is barely, it will draw extra amps to compensate to charge the battery and sustain power. This in combination with spikes both high and low on startup and in general from the vehicle is going to put a hell of a strain on your laptop's powersupply section, usually as part of the mainboard itself.
                              3. And as previously stated, even off, your laptop will be using power to keep it's own battery charged. So in theory you could kill the car's battery keeping the laptop plugged in for an extended period.

I ran my laptop powered from my car for a couple of trips, but I used an inverter that used the laptop's supplied AC powerbrick to give the power it needed, and just had the inverter hooked up to the ignition for it's source. So it wouldn't be fed power when it was off. Still not the best solution, but it worked for what I needed at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X