iPad alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad alternative

Not sure about the rest of you... I started with a full PC build for my truck and loved it. Having everything stolen changed my point of view... while I like the idea of the iPad... I'd rather have something with a little more user functionality. iPads are really just big iphones... and I am honestly offended at the data rates ATT is charging for the things.

I found this... not sure about the release date, but it looks like a viable and affordable option.

http://www.exopc.com/en/exopc-slate.php

The ability to have a carPC that is usable as a device when NOT in the car sounds like the next great step in computing. Seeing that the exoPC supposedly has instant-on is another big sell for me.

Ideas?
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...150-carpc.html

$600 and no 3G?

Also, where can you get a cheaper data plan?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Windows 7, USB 2.0, hmm...

11.6 inches!? What? Car PC?

Comment

Thats one of my main issues... you can't get a cheaper data plan anywhere. I still think the prices that they charge are outrageous. I understand the infrastructure support and blah blah blah... when you have millions of people paying it, it's all offset so I would like to see more reasonable prices. Mainly, I'd like to see something where you pay to be connected. Not per device, nice per location, just "Hey, ATT, this is me, and I'll pay you 50$ a month for unlimited data wherever I am and whatever I'm using." Why pay another data plan for an iPad that is literally sitting next to your iPhone?

ANYHOO.... the 3G answer is simple for me.... just tether it to the iPhone. iPhone gets 3g, use cydia to download a data sharing app, and drive on down the road.

Comment

there are some pay-as-you-go data plans that are a little cheaper, but require a usb port:
          http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
            there are some pay-as-you-go data plans that are a little cheaper, but require a usb port:
            http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband
            WOW!! Thats worse then paying for almost any aircard from the major providers. $40 for 1GB and $60 for 5GB? You can get unlimted sprint 4G access for that.

Comment

it has usb ports....you can add any provider you want
              openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
              - Always Recruiting Developers -
              Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

brave move to go with win7, especially in light that HP dumped win7 in favor of webOS for their tablets.

but... I suppose if people really want to run non-touchscreen apps on a touch-device and pay extra for that bug/feature this may be the tablet for them!

that aside, it does look nice hardware wise.
                Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

The software is moot. If a slice of cheese has a USB port you can load Linux or xpe on it... I'm just looking for something that isn't apple owned and controlled. I love my iPhone, I'm actually using it through an ad-hoc connection on pirated wifi at FOB Salerno, Afghanistan ( no joke), but I don't want to give AT&T or apple any more than I have to. I would like to see something revolutionary and maker- friendly come out. The exopc was just one of em... The wepad (wetap I think it's called now) is another one... And I just see something big coming that's better than a laptop, or what is the equivalant to a desktop pc installed in a vehicle. Imagine having something with windows or Linux that is dev friendly... That could be used for instant auto diag as soon as you get in the car... Without having to find hacks or workarounds beforehand!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalenth View Post
                    The software is moot. If a slice of cheese has a USB port you can load Linux or xpe on it...
                    That just reminds me of this
                    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                    RevFE
                    My Shop

Comment

The interactive interface part of it can't come close the iPad, but I still think that's useless in car. But it's a slate/tablet. Why not use it as one? And it's HUGE! Where are you going to velcro it?

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                        brave move to go with win7, especially in light that HP dumped win7 in favor of webOS for their tablets.

but... I suppose if people really want to run non-touchscreen apps on a touch-device and pay extra for that bug/feature this may be the tablet for them!

that aside, it does look nice hardware wise.
                        Win7 rocks. I'm going to assume you haven't used it on a tablet yet. If you have, you must not be a very good at it.

I think the OP makes a valid point. The seemingly next step to car computing is going to be a device that can go with you everywhere, and do everything. I mean eventually all these devices are going to have to become one universal device with attachments to achieve different things vs a different device for every job.

I could see having a device the size of a moto droid/iPod and a different inexpensive dock for different jobs. A desktop dock with keyboard/mouse/LCD/nic-wifi/USB/Firewire/etc. A car dock with radio/OBD/antenna connectivity. A portable dock w/LCD screen and smaller laptop keyboard for use in hotels or coffee shops (a dock that looks like a netbook maybe, just drop the device inside it somewhere). A waterproof dock w/sunlight readable LCD and waterproof keyboard for the beach or boating.

It's gotta be the future... aye? Some way to consolidate all your devices into one device, not have to worry about data syncing across devices.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE
                        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                          Win7 rocks. I'm going to assume you haven't used it on a tablet yet. If you have, you must not be a very good at it.
                          I used win7 in a VM for like 5 mintues before I couldn't take it anymore. I can only take so many dialogs saying "is it okay to do [insert random action here]". IMHO, the job of a real OS should be to get out of my way and let me do my thing.

The way I use a computer desktop is with a mouse and a keyboard. I use the keyboard to do things like typing, shortcuts in apps and quickly switching between windows. I use a mouse to click on stuff.

On a tablet, you don't have a keyboard. If your OS is built with a keyboard in mind to do things quickly, than you are forced to click on little graphical things that are designed for a precision pointer (which would be a mouse unless you grow out your finger nails and sharpen them... oh that doesn't work on a capacitive TS, that sucks...) and go the long way through a series of graphical menu's and dialogs to get the simplest of tasks done. THIS IS WHY THE TABLET HAS BEEN AROUND FOR AGES AND NEVER TOOK OFF. They just aren't sexy or fun to use. Let's face it, Apple made a tablet sexy and fun and now it's selling like hotcakes. Win7 and even Win7 mobile isn't the solution and HP agrees with me (as does a billion other companies who are using android instead of win7).

It's gotta be the future... aye? Some way to consolidate all your devices into one device, not have to worry about data syncing across devices.
                          That's what the cloud is for. That aside, I do like the idea of a tablet being your device and it's what I'm kinda going for in my modular connected car setup. I have a headless, cheap, low power device gathering and providing information to another computer. That computer right now is a "standard" carpc, but it could easily be a tablet of some sort someday.
                          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

I used win7 in a VM for like 5 mintues before I couldn't take it anymore. I can only take so many dialogs saying "is it okay to do [insert random action here]". IMHO, the job of a real OS should be to get out of my way and let me do my thing.

The way I use a computer desktop is with a mouse and a keyboard. I use the keyboard to do things like typing, shortcuts in apps and quickly switching between windows. I use a mouse to click on stuff.

On a tablet, you don't have a keyboard. If your OS is built with a keyboard in mind to do things quickly, than you are forced to click on little graphical things that are designed for a precision pointer (which would be a mouse unless you grow out your finger nails and sharpen them... oh that doesn't work on a capacitive TS, that sucks...) and go the long way through a series of graphical menu's and dialogs to get the simplest of tasks done. THIS IS WHY THE TABLET HAS BEEN AROUND FOR AGES AND NEVER TOOK OFF. They just aren't sexy or fun to use. Let's face it, Apple made a tablet sexy and fun and now it's selling like hotcakes. Win7 and even Win7 mobile isn't the solution and HP agrees with me (as does a billion other companies who are using android instead of win7).
                            Hence the reason they use a custom UI not the actual win7 UI.

That's what the cloud is for. That aside, I do like the idea of a tablet being your device and it's what I'm kinda going for in my modular connected car setup. I have a headless, cheap, low power device gathering and providing information to another computer. That computer right now is a "standard" carpc, but it could easily be a tablet of some sort someday.
                            Its going to be a long long long time before the cloud has any true impact on car computing...
                            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                            - Always Recruiting Developers -
                            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                              Its going to be a long long long time before the cloud has any true impact on car computing...
                              Bookmarked for future reference.

I'm with Kev on this one. At aft fest we'll demo the connected car idea. Not really so much as a current replacement for a car pc but as an idea whose time will be here sooner than later.
                              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                              Want to:
                              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                              X