X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry Playbook Tablet Announced

http://gizmodo.com/5649238/blackberr...-for-the-suits

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/

Weeee!! I'm a huge fan of the BlackBerry phones and one of the few of my friends who has yet to cross over to the dark side (iPhone and Android).

No prices announced yet, but it definitely looks plenty powerful for Car Computing, and a much better size to integrate into the dash compared to an iPad.... Any thoughts?

COMPLETED! 02 VW Golf TDI 7" Eee PC Budget Build

I like it. But why blackberry? Does it have the corporate email support? That would be nice. But what about the cost to activate another device? Hummm.

I like the galaxy tab screen, and since blackberry's screen are so ugly (wife just got the new Blackberry Torch, I can't believe they use such a screen, it's like SD while everybody is doing HD) I'm kind of thorn on this one.

One thing is certain. If I tell wife that she would have the whole computer where my current Xenarc is, and that it would be able to get calendar and email as on the blackberry, she would let me buy anything for Christmas...
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Looks cool but it's not due out for months. It seems a little disingenuous to call the product a first true multitasker when you you can't actually buy it yet.

I wonder how the extra horsepower affects battery life?
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I'm here wondering how cool all those devices would look without those thick bezels...(like it's happening on tvs)

Comment

You'd have to somehow come up with bezel deadening technology so that holding it didn't accidentally do something.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Lol

Comment

ya, I think the bezels are so thick to actually give you a place to grab it without accidentally selecting something on the screen. maybe a thin bezel and a handle of some sort might work, or just make the thick bezel along one or two of the edges, and have the rest thin...

I agree that this is a little early for BB to make such claims about its device that no one has been able to get their hands on yet. I do think that this device will be a hit when it comes out though...
              COMPLETED! 02 VW Golf TDI 7" Eee PC Budget Build

Comment

Will be interesting to see how blackberry comes out with a new hardware device being that they're software is so dated.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Very Cool.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/12/08/blackb...on-video-demo/

The bezel is touch sensitive, multitasking works great, note the 1080p video demo running minimized, very responsive overall, maybe morevthan the iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                    Very Cool.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/12/08/blackb...on-video-demo/

The bezel is touch sensitive, multitasking works great, note the 1080p video demo running minimized, very responsive overall, maybe morevthan the iPad.
                    Thats pretty impressive....looks like they put a lot of thought into a good UI design
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -
                    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I agree. It does not look like an iPad copy at all, if anything it looks to be better, unique interface. I wonder if the apps are going to follow the general directives...the sdk is already available for download, btw. Generally Apple is pretty good at keeping the apps within certain guidelines (looks and functionality)...let's see about this one.

Comment

Anandtech first impressions of the Blackberry Playbook posted here.

RIM is being rather coy about the hardware, beyond saying that it has a 1GHz multi-core processor. However, we have heard very strong hints from multiple parties saying that there’s a TI OMAP 4 SoC underhood, so you can basically pencil in the OMAP 4430’s dual-core 1GHz Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX 540. The 7” display has a 1024x600 resolution and appeared to have pretty decent viewing angles. There are two cameras here, a 3MP unit on the front and a 5MP unit on the back, as well as a micro-HDMI port. Dimensionally, the PlayBook is slightly larger and slightly thinner than the Galaxy Tab, as well as marginally heavier, but unless you have the two side by side like I did, you wouldn’t be able to notice. The soft touch backing gives the device a very nice feel in hand.

The PlayBook’s interface is Apple-like in its grace and simplicity. Swiping your fingers left or right across the screen flips through multiple pages of the home screen. Sliding your fingers upwards gives you access to the multitasking menu with a live view of your running applications (similar to Win+Tab in Windows or Expose in OS X). In the web browser, the same action brings up a live view of the current tab set. Speaking of the browser, it has support for both HTML5 and Adobe Flash capability.

Multitasking performance is particularly impressive on the PlayBook. We were able to playback HD video, run a Quake 3 timedemo, and load a web page at the same time without any noticeable slowdown on the UI, and I saw another PlayBook unit running two 1080p videos simultaneously in the background with smooth browser performance and no dropped frames in either video.
                        We’re looking forward to getting our hands on a production model of the PlayBook in the coming months, and RIM says that the WiFi-only model of the PlayBook should be out before April. A 3G/WiMAX-equipped PlayBook should be available later on this year. It looks like RIM is pretty serious about the tablet space, so it looks like Apple and Google will definitely have some solid competition in 2011.

Comment

With more specs becoming available on the Playbook, and price points and release dates have been set, I think it's time to take the playbook seriously for carpc use.
                          One thing that really excites me is the amazing support it has for app development. The fact that it can run Adobe Air software alone makes this an awesome platform. I am pretty sure I will be an early adopter, just need to convince my wife to let me get one first.

Comment

Anand tech full review of the Playbook posted here.

The screen: 645 nits (double the iPad's gorgeous one) and 856:1 contrast ration (almost iPad like, which tops at 934:1). Good viewing angles too. A bit bigger than the Galaxy Tab, but at 7" is not that big; it does however have a dual core processor that it's faster than the Xoom's Tegra; everything is GPU accelerated, full flash support and fast browser, etc, fully sync files via wifi with live update, which is good if you already have a PC in the car...

No SD card though. And it's too expensive I think...However, wife (who has a Torch) already said she would like to have one instead of the currently milky resistive Xenarc running non-GPU 90's ATM style CF front end. Good news is, the Playbook will tether to the blackberry (BBE) for no extra charge, guaranteed by RIM (read the review above).

Comment

Working...
                            X