Laptop Power On I've Searched Help Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Power On I've Searched Help Please

Ok guys well I lost my job so I am in need of money. So I pulled my itx system from my glove box and I am installing my laptop into the car. My plan was to install a small numeric keypad in my console so I could just hit a key to bring the computer back from hibernate or standbye. So I've pulled everything and just go finished setting the laptop up and I've found that the only way to bring it back from hibernate is to hit the power button and the only way to bring it back from standbye is to hit a key on the laptops keyboard. This isn't going to be possible since I am installing the laptop under the passenger seat. So basically I am losing my mind. I've seen people speak of taking the laptop apart and hard wireing a monetary switch. This isn't possible for me because I need to be able to remove this laptop and bring it places with me. Ok well someone please help. Here are the specs of the laptop.
    Sony Vaio TR2A
    1GHZ Centrino
    512 ram
    xp home
    40 gig hd.
    2 usb, modem, ethernet, firewire, pcmcia, sound, and monitor ports are all that I have available.
    O wait I have a dc out port available that I have never been able to figure out what that does. Ok well please help someone. Thanks,
    Tim Stark

Originally posted by TimStark
    Ok guys well I lost my job so I am in need of money. So I pulled my itx system from my glove box and I am installing my laptop into the car. My plan was to install a small numeric keypad in my console so I could just hit a key to bring the computer back from hibernate or standbye. So I've pulled everything and just go finished setting the laptop up and I've found that the only way to bring it back from hibernate is to hit the power button and the only way to bring it back from standbye is to hit a key on the laptops keyboard. This isn't going to be possible since I am installing the laptop under the passenger seat. So basically I am losing my mind. I've seen people speak of taking the laptop apart and hard wireing a monetary switch. This isn't possible for me because I need to be able to remove this laptop and bring it places with me. Ok well someone please help. Here are the specs of the laptop.
    Sony Vaio TR2A
    1GHZ Centrino
    512 ram
    xp home
    40 gig hd.
    2 usb, modem, ethernet, firewire, pcmcia, sound, and monitor ports are all that I have available.
    O wait I have a dc out port available that I have never been able to figure out what that does. Ok well please help someone. Thanks,
    Centrino isn't a CPU. It's an Intel marketing term for their chipset/wireless NIC combo. Your laptop has a Pentium M processor.

I don't know a solution to your problem, other than turning the PC on once you get it in the car.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I see that money is an issue here, but have you thought about a docking station. These normally have a power switch on them. You could hardware the docking station into the car (keypad, power switch etc.), then you could take the laptop out at any time.

Prem
      Re-boxed Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 733 256Mb RAM
      Modified Sproggy PSU
      Custom made automatic start-up/ shut-down controller
      Dual 2.5" HDDs
      Laptop DVD Reader
      D-Link FM Radio
      5" PSOne LCD
      Installed and working. 75% complete.

Comment

Like the few guys above said, there reallly isnt gonna be an easy way to do this. A docking station would work. If whats holding you back from installing a second switch for power is the removability, you will just have to make a way to connect and disconnect it. Cut a small set of connectors onto the laptop case somewhere, and hook up the wires to the external switch when you get in the car. Thats the simplest, and cheapest way to work around this problem that I can see.
        -Drew Taylor
        2000 Grand Am GT PC

Comment

Most laptops can be brought out of standby through a usb device, such as a mouse. Unfortunately this means leaving your computer in standby, which consumes a decent amount of power (my laptop batteries die after rougly 2 days of standby).

Comment

Yesterday 06:24 PM
            crono35 Most laptops can be brought out of standby through a usb device, such as a mouse. Unfortunately this means leaving your computer in standby, which consumes a decent amount of power (my laptop batteries die after rougly 2 days of standby).

This is what I was wanting to do because I am in my car at least once a day and the inverter would recharge the battery during my drive time. But I cannot seem to get my usb mouse or usb numeric keypad to bring it out of suspend. Is there a setting in widows I can use to make this work. Thanks for the info and help.

Comment

Originally posted by cavramair
              A docking station would work.
              An easy assumption. I bought one for my Fujitsu Lifebook for this very purpose. Did it have a power switch? Did it

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
              CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

Here's an idea...

I just finished my laptop install and I was able to run the wires from the power switch to two of the modem pins. (who uses dial-up anyway?) I was then able to plug a phone cable in to the laptop and wire that to a momentary switch. This way I can just unplug the phone cable and take the laptop inside for updates or whatever. If you'd like I can get pictures...
                http://www.nerdybynature.com

Comment

wagonerd - yes, please post pictures, and also tell us what two pins you connect to turn on the computer.

Comment

keep us informed, i'm interested too!

Comment

That's a great idea! Way to go =) Then you could also connect the other end of the phone cable to an ITPS and automate the startup/shutdown. Nice!
                      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by wagonerd
                        I just finished my laptop install and I was able to run the wires from the power switch to two of the modem pins. (who uses dial-up anyway?) I was then able to plug a phone cable in to the laptop and wire that to a momentary switch. This way I can just unplug the phone cable and take the laptop inside for updates or whatever. If you'd like I can get pictures...

Details! All the details please!

Comment

That is a good idea. And you could connect two fo the pins to the lid switch and two to the power.... hmmmmm

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

i customized the laptop to have asses to the power button (removed the lcd screen from the laptop) and placed the power button on top of lcd cover....sice i have a 350Z i reach over the pass. seat and power it on. what do you guys think?
                            Attached Files

Comment

I bought a TCS OFF switch to replace the blank that was next to my VDC OFF switch and ran the power switch to that. It is a momentary switch, with a light in it that looks real clean. I like it because it is convenient to access, and it is completely stealth to anyone who doesn't own a Z (and I say TCS stands for The Computer System). I really like the idea of running the line to the modem port, I am going to have to look into doing that.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X