Shutdown Controller and Laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutdown Controller and Laptops

Can someone explain how I would wire up one of those shutdown controllers to send my laptop into hibernation (i.e. wired to the power button on my laptop and or a docking station)?

I was thinking about using the uSDC20D micro Shutdown Controller. I understand that a wire has to go to ground, another wire has to go to the ignition, and another wire has to go to the car battery (positive).

The part that is confusing is how to wire it to the power button on the laptop when the controller is made for ATX computer/power-supply.
    `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    `
    `

take apart your laptop apart and wire it in parrarel to the button that turns your laptop on
    So far - 1.1ghz athlon 4 Sharp Laptop, 256mb RAM, 20GB HDD, 32MB on board graphics. CDRW/DVD, 600W Boschmann amp, K301 InDash Screen

Comment

the power button for a standard ATX mobo shoudl be the same for laptops. At least it is the same on mine.
      Check my sig below and go to post #52. I have some pics of the uSDC20D controller hooked up to my dell laptop with docking station.
      04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Originally posted by moahdib
        the power button for a standard ATX mobo shoudl be the same for laptops. At least it is the same on mine.
        Check my sig below and go to post #52. I have some pics of the uSDC20D controller hooked up to my dell laptop with docking station.
        I have a Sony laptop and a Dell and neither of them have jumper-style pins like an atx motherboard, just pads that the button is soldered to. I ended up using the Dell in the car and had to solder wires to the pads and extend them outside of the laptop case to hook up to my shutdown controller.

So, to the original poster, you have to take it apart and look where the power button is hooked up to. If it's just pins then you lucked out and you can hook it up to that, otherwise you might have to do some soldering.

There are also shutdown controllers available that can shutdown via the serial port and some software (eg. DSSC), but these I don't think there is a startup option when you use it like that so you will have to setup the laptop BIOS to resume on power loss (if it has that option in BIOS).

Comment

Thanks people. Since I have a docking station I can solder the controller to the power button on that. But that's not really an issue, I am more concerned about wiring it correctly and that it (uSDC20D) will actually work.

So with that said what's the best controller to get to use with a laptop?
          `
          ,,`,,
          ,,`,,
          ``,,`,,` `
          ,,`,,
          ,,`,,
          `
          `

Comment

I want to know as well. I have a HP Pavilion N5190 Laptop with docking station for my project. I am almost done, and this is one of the final touches to complete my project.
            My Car: 2001 Mazda MP3
            My OLD Carputer project: Here
            Completion Progress Bar: [**********100%]
            Current build! Here
            Completion Progress Bar: [*********99%]

Comment

I guess I will need to take one of my docking stations apart to see what's what.
              Current build! Here

Comment

Our shutdown controller will do serial port shutdown, so you don't need to open the laptop. When using serial port shutdown, you do have to turn on the PC by yourself though.

Check it out, it is so much more than just a simple shutdown controller.

KyferEz
                TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                PSU Wattage Calculator
                Electronics Calculators
                Copper Wire Data

Comment

Whichever controller I use has to be able to startup the laptop. I just wish I knew more about electronics...
                  `
                  ,,`,,
                  ,,`,,
                  ``,,`,,` `
                  ,,`,,
                  ,,`,,
                  `
                  `

Comment

Well, our controllers can fully control a laptop, however, you will have to connect to the laptop's pushbutton. Likely this will require soldering wires onto the pins of that pushbutton.

KyferEz
                    TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                    PSU Wattage Calculator
                    Electronics Calculators
                    Copper Wire Data

Comment

Are there any concerns with laptops and cranking your car?
                      `
                      ,,`,,
                      ,,`,,
                      ``,,`,,` `
                      ,,`,,
                      ,,`,,
                      `
                      `

Comment

If the laptop has a battery installed, cranking should not be an issue (it would be like pulling the plug for a second then plugging it back in).

As for wiring, it's pretty simple. Here's what you'll have to hook up for MOST shutdown controllers (read the instructions for your SDC carefully first!):

-constant power IN, should be directly from the battery
                        -switched power IN, eg. the ACC line, this tells the controller when to send the on/off pulses to the power button
                        -ground
                        -power OUT, this will be going to your inverter so that your laptop can be charged by the inverter
                        -(may or may not be) ground "OUT" for the inverter, you may also just ground the inverter to the chassis (remember to use a single ground point for everything)
                        -2 pins for your ATX switch, these go to the power button that you've soldered on to, polarity should not matter so either pin goes to either pad on the button

Hope that makes sense and helps you a bit.

Comment

thanks!
                          `
                          ,,`,,
                          ,,`,,
                          ``,,`,,` `
                          ,,`,,
                          ,,`,,
                          `
                          `

Comment

Ok, so what if my battery cannot hold a charge anylonger, and I can't buy a new one right now?
                            Current build! Here

Comment

It may not be an issue if you are using an inverter. If it is, you could use our tank circuit with a sealed lead acid battery.

KyferEz
                              PSU Wattage Calculator
                              Electronics Calculators
                              Copper Wire Data

Comment

Working...
                              X