My laptop power on solution - 56k modem port and telephone cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My laptop power on solution - 56k modem port and telephone cable

One way to power on a laptop that was mentioned by a few people who have done similar things was to wire into the laptop power switch and run two wires out to your momentary switch/pulsed relay switch. I heard someone mentioning hooking it up through their 56k modem port (as very few people still use it) so that it is removable. You simply plug in a 2-wire telephone cord that is in your car wired to your turn on relay circuit.

The above method is what I ended up doing. I swear I ended up with the hardest switch to solder to on my DELL Inspiron 4000. I ended up having to completely dissasemble the laptop to get to the back of the power switch PCB. But thankfully I found two small contacts to solder the wires to.

Here is what I did:

Soldered 2 wires to power switch PCB. Used a mulitmeter to test which 2 leads connected when the button was pressed.

Top view of switch PCB.

Here I ran the wires down inside the case to where the 56k modem connector/wire goes into the NIC/modem. Cut off the connector and soldered to the wires. Top view.

Bottom view showing the two 56k modem wires soldered to my two new wires. On the right is the 14pin connector that goes into the NIC.

These two pictures show the trace from the 56k modem port to its wire. Again I used the multimeter to verify that the 56k modem port did in fact go to the two wires which plugged into the NIC/modem.

Thats an excellent idea to make the laptop removeable.

Comment

that is a very awsome idea, not like i use my 56k ever anyways , i go do this now thanks

Comment

I tried to take apart the plug in mine, without any luck. so I just ran the wires out the hole.... Looks nice

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

did it on my toshiba, works like magic!

Comment

Pretty slick

Another option would have been to run wire outside the laptop and then terminate it with quick disconnect connectors so it can be removed if necessary
            This is certainly cleaner though
            2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

now what are you doing for startup and shutdown? Do you have any automation for shutdown when the power goes off in the car at all???

Comment

I will be using a relay circuit from my key ignition accesory on position that will momentarily connect the two remote wires for a 1/2 second or so when the car gets turned on. That relay will also turn on the car adapter that plugs into the laptop.

I am using an application called 'hibermon' created by a guy on here that puts the computer into shutdown, standby, hubernate etc (whicever you chose) upon losing the power connection(or after a set time) . For a laptop, it will detect when it looses AC power. So for however long you set it to wait, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, etc, it will run off its battery until it sends its standby command to the computer (for example). The time delay allows for any instance where you turn the car off and lose power but would turn the car back on in a few seconds or what not. Using the laptop with this circuitry and software I have created a fairly intelligent startup shutdown controller wannabe (and tank setup using the laptop battery) for little to no cost.

Comment

that is pretty much my setup too.
                  http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp the constant to momentary circuit is the one that I use to turn on the laptop (I had to play aroudn with the resistor, cant remember what I set it to).

Af for the shutdown, you can use the built in windows power settings, but in my experience they are unreliable, as applications can keep your computer from hibernating automatically.

I created a little vbscipt that runs in the background and detects power changes and then does stuff (including hibernating after 30 seconds). One of these days I might turn it into a real application .

|V1 Virtual Display|

Comment

works on my hp laptop! cables little harder to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by zPilott
                      I created a little vbscipt that runs in the background and detects power changes and then does stuff (including hibernating after 30 seconds). One of these days I might turn it into a real application .
                      vbscript gone

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58933

|V1 Virtual Display|

Comment

I created a version of this before i knew this was about

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59056

Comment

My laptop has no wires to extend from the power button (hardsoldered directly to the lappys mainboard) so I had to find a way to physically push the button..

After some experimenting I've found that the best way to do this is to use a power door lock actuator... They are readily available on ebay for $10 shipped! They require no special wiring, just a 12v circuit though a momentary switch. They push out (or in if you wanted) when power is applied and spring back when the power is cut off.
                          - ƒarrow

www.myspace.com/farrow099

Comment

Laptop power (Car)

I travel extensively in my car and of course wireless service is wonderful and preferred! But, my laptop battery only lasts so long so I use a cell phone sized 250 watt inverter in my car and it works for the laptop and other components, as well. Voip Girl

Comment

i cant see the pics ..is that normal?
                              Carputer to sell : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/vbcl...?do=ad&id=2684

Comment

Working...
                              X