Laptops in car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptops in car

could all the people with laptop installs please explain what they actually did or have to do? do you need a docking station? how about hibernation? wakeup? etc... any in depth detail would be great also any such this as a universal docking station???

I carry mine out, plug in a VGA, two USBs, sound, and power. Then I turn it on and cram the laptop between the passenger seat and the console. Its set to hibernate when battery is low. If its hibernating, I un-wedge it from between the seats, press power, and shove it back in there.

Im sooo waiting for the cash to buy me an Opus and an MII board....
    MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
    Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

I used a port replicator for my X31 that I got from ebay for cheap. The port replicator is secured to the floor of the trunk, and it takes care of all the connections (audio, vga, usb, etc).

I can either leave the whole thing in the car if I want to, or undock the laptop and take it in the house if I have to work on it or something.

I took care of the power button by hard-wiring a switch to the port replicator and running it to the front of the cabin along with the rest of the cables. That way I can turn the thing on remotely, and usually whatever front-end I'm using has an option for hibernate/stand by.

Comment

I just got doing my laptop install. I am using sell c840 with a docking station..

Comment

I went with a docking station option just because I did not want to mod the laptop itself for power on, etc.. You can see my laptop install here:
          http://www.perhamresearch.com/carputer.html
          2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe
          My Work Log:
          http://www.dreamingspirals.com/?catid=6&blogid=1

Comment

dell docking stations just have a little plastic screw panel behind the power button setup. I unscrewed that, played with my multimeter till i found the wires which shorted when you push the on button, and wired my remote power button to them. Then with the help of a glue gun i put it back together so my docking station has pigtails.....
            Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

No docking station, I just plug everything into the back. Opened the case, soldered a small connector to the power button. I rarely have use for the laptop, so it doesn't matter that it takes me a few minutes to get everything disconnected. A docking station would just make it much easier.

Hibernation is handled through software, mostly I just put it into standby. My motherboard doesn't have on power-on settings, so its only handled through the switch.
              2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
              7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
              80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

I'm thinking of doing the same
                http://img215.exs.cx/img215/3613/jay.gif
                Either love me or leave me alone

Comment

Working...
                X