Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any downsides to a laptop car adapter as a power source?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any downsides to a laptop car adapter as a power source?

I did a but could find no answer to this question...

I have a P4M laptop with a 16V 4.5A power source and I can find various power adapters that are suitable for it's use in a car straight from a cigarette lighter.

I am wondering are there any downsides to using one of these devices - for example - is the power it delivers well regulated? Does anyone have any favourite brands? Does it wreck the laptop battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

That should be fine.. powering a regular computer through an inverter runnign from the cig lighter = no no, could start a fire. But the amount of power a laptop will draw is so little and the wattage on the adapter should be fine to run from the cig lighter.

-arebelspy
    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

Thank you for your reply... but I am talking of a gadget that takes the 12V DC and changes it to 16V DC - as far as I know this is NOT an inverter - I am not going though any 240V AC change...

So are you still talking about the same thing Arebelspy?

Comment

Yes, he's talking about the same thing.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have been using one of these for 6 months:
          http://www.powerstream.com/ADC.htm

I haven't seen any significant decrease in laptop battery capacity.
          They seem to be pretty reliable.

Comment

I have a Targus Car/Laptop adaptor, works fine!
            Fox Mulder
            2004 Toyota MR2
            Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

Thanks Darque.

Yeah, I meant in general the advice is don't power anything from a cig lighter. For example, a regular comp running off an inverter, the inverter should be wired directly to the battery, running off the cig lighter can start a fire.

In your case "the amount of power a laptop will draw is so little and the wattage on the adapter should be fine to run from the cig lighter" - it's designed for it, in fact.

-arebelspy

Comment

Thank you all for your help - this is good - I can start work on it straight away...I can wire a similar thing to the screen...

Just out of interest, has anyone checked how much the voltage output fluctuates in these devices?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackAWD
                  I can wire a similar thing to the screen...
                  Probably not a good idea.. running too many things from the cig lighter is what I was trying to caution you on.

-arebelspy

Comment

Originally posted by BlackAWD
                    Just out of interest, has anyone checked how much the voltage output fluctuates in these devices?
                    I don't think the voltage would fluctuate that much if at all, as it has to feed a well regulated supply voltage to your expensive laptop.
                    Fox Mulder
                    2004 Toyota MR2
                    Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

Working...
                    X