use laptop as the carputer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use laptop as the carputer?

I'm totally new to this so please bare with me. I'm thinking of putting in a carputer into my next car, which is going to be a 2006 prius. I haven't seen anyone with a prius and a carputer. I'm debating on whether to get the navi or not. i have the navi on order, but would like to get a carputer instead.

my question is this. Is it possible to use a docking station that will securely hold a laptop in place and still be able to access all of the functions using an external touchscreen device?

The reason I would like to do this is because I carry around a laptop with me all of the time and it just doesnt make sense to me to have yet another computer in the car.

Does this make sense? what would be needed?

Thanks!

are you serious? you need to search the forums. this is one of the most common and simply answered questions asked. there is even a FAQ on this subject.

Comment

while you COULD do what your after easily enough.... it won't be long till you wished you could just leave the pc in the car...... using your primary laptop for this has a lot of drawbacks......

I would reconsider the one laptop does all approach....
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by dailyclerk
        my question is this. Is it possible to use a docking station that will securely hold a laptop in place and still be able to access all of the functions using an external touchscreen device?
        That depends on the docking station. Most docking stations will provide this functionality, but not all.
        What is even more frustrating for using a laptop/docking station is that it's not the route most people go because of the added expense.
        For example, you can get a Dell Latitude D610 for $999. The D/Port adds $179 to the price tag. The D/Dock (which also adds a usable PCI slot!) tacks on $279.
        However, this method may enable you to use a DC-DC power supply, allows to have an external monitor that will be detected when you're 'docked', auto-startup capabilities and more.
        If you're going to use a laptop as your vehicle PC, this is definitely the ideal setup. But you have to be able to afford it.

Also, don't look at a port replicator. That is not going to be able to do what you want. You need a true docking station. Port replicators just give you additional ports (PS/2, Parallel, serial, etc.) through a USB port.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
        X