Buying a laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a laptop

Why is it so hard to find a laptop that has a docking station available?

My brother offered me his toshiba satellite m45 laptop (pentium M, 512mb) but I can't find a docking station available for it.

So, instead I bought a gateway mx3228, and it's the same story (i didn't open it yet, so I can still return it)

I'd rather not use a targus universal docking station, only because I won't have a power switch to turn the laptop on and off..

I'm keeping my budget for the laptop under $700, with 512mb, and no less then a 60gb drive. Any ideas for a laptop that meets these specs that has a docking station/port replicator available for it?

The reason I'm switching to a laptop, is because my computer crashed again. If you've seen my previous threads, you'd see that this is not the first..or even second time this has happened. I decided a laptop will be more versatile, and hopefully work much better in my truck.
    Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
    macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
    14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
    Completly custom computer case

I have a Dell Latitude x200 with a dock. A lot of dells have 'factory' docks, but docking stations aren't very mainstream anymore. You may have to look at IBMs (Lenovo) as well.

Comment

thanks for the reply. What are people using in place of docking stations? I started to come to the conclusion that you mentioned after awhile of searching and only seeing that most sony's, and IBM's have docking stations...
      Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

They're using Port Replicators...

Peace,

Rafster
        Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster
          They're using Port Replicators...

Peace,

Rafster
          basically the same thing as a docking station..which i'm having trouble finding?
          Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

i'm using a compaq evo laptop, you can get docking stations all over ebay for under £20, only problem now is that i don't have anywhere to fit the damn thing in my car! oh and the really useful thing, the docking stations even come with a pci slot so you can fit a proper audiophile sound card instead of one of those silly overpriced usb units!!!
            Progress: ~99%
            Fitted, Running.
            boot install to tidy when better weather arrives

Comment

Working...
            X