Solderless Laptop "Remote" Power Button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solderless Laptop "Remote" Power Button

This will work for those who installed under thier seat or dont' need a a fancy install. An easier alternative to having a "remote" powerbutton without having to crack open and "hack" your laptop power button... anyone try finding a way to tape one of those camera plunger/trigger things to your powerbutton.
    Rep! Rep! My kingdom for some rep!

My WIP

Ghetto Carlaputer: (putting things together) 0% * * * * * * * */2 - - 100%
    Wife's patience: 0% * * * */2 - - - - - 100%

seen it done- one user even has a bicycle brake lever operated unit
    here is a good link for those that wish to make a cable sytle remote button http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/c...ease/index.htm

whatever works! I prefer to use a hacked docking station myself.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

nice! now how do i modify it to fit my wife... maybe a remote to... umm.... do the unmentionable stuff .....

My WIP

Comment

If I had to try and modify the actual laptop, this may have been a good alternative, although my power button was concelead by the screen, so I don't know how I would have gotten to it.

But I agree with gospeed.racer, my modified docking station is best. Really simple to tap into and I also get a status LED to know if it's on or off.

Next step is to make the laptop turn on before I get into the car. I don't want to add a new remote, so I just need to find the circuit my kefob triggers when unlocking the doors.
        '02 Molten Silver SE-R Spec V
        K&N CAI Car-puter

Comment

wish this brand did make accessories, docking stations or replacement parts fo that matter. Luckily my button is on the side of the laptop and my case if already cracked in several places. I'm considering taking out the MB and encasing an acrylic box. Looking to relocate the screen by extending the wires like in one of the posts in FAQ outlined so fingers crossed adn we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks. My only concern is the processing power (or lack of) that this box has. AND this thing only has 1 USB 1.0 port so i'll be hooking up everything (BT, wireless mouse/pointer rx unit, ipod, PPC sync) to a powered USB hub. we'll see how it goes.

My WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Friedrice
            nice! now how do i modify it to fit my wife... maybe a remote to... umm.... do the unmentionable stuff .....
            lmao!!
            - My ride - MySpace -

Comment

While this is a novel ideal, I agree with the others about the docking stations or what I use myself and build for others (see sig) because they offer a true electrical connection vs/ a mechanical connection. With that you can offer other 'safety' features, remote switches, sensors, etc. Mechanical connections often are unreliable due to vibration, heat (if using tape), etc... Just my 2 cents..

Originally posted by Friedrice
              Originally Posted by Friedrice
              Too funny. lol

Comment

Working...
              X