Laptop Screen Off While TS On?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Screen Off While TS On?

For some reason on my laptop (Inspiron 5100, Radeon 7500) I cant turn the screen of the laptop off and still output to the vga. Its really weird, ive tried playing with the settings inside the display properties page, but I cant really seem to get any thing. This is a problem because the screen generates a lot of heat while on and shut or nearly shut. Im not ready to dissconect the screen yet because I still do alot of the troubleshooting on the lappys screen
    thanks in advance
    98 V6 Camry XLE
    Status-Everything is working again!
    No progress while I am in NYC
    Ze Worklog

when the lid is fully closed the backlight should go off... you could always open the bezel & use a switch to interupt power to the inverter, but the factory lid switch should do that already... are you sure it's not just the heat from the processor that you're feeling?
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

ah, sorry forgot to mention. The laptops lid position is told by a magnet. I had to remove the magnet because the computer wouldnt start with the it closed. I can see the light if I strain the lid. Rigging a switch wouldnt e the most fun way to fixing the problem :-P
      98 V6 Camry XLE
      Ze Worklog

Comment

it's the only way I can think of, since you removed the factory lid switch to make it boot...

either that, or just let it burn... shouldn't make a big difference really unless it's tucked in real tight qtrs... it'll last for years that way really

btw, you DID try the function key combo to switch through the available outputs, didn't you?

Comment

Normally Del laptops have a fn+(F key) that cycles which display is being used (internal or external) look at all the little blue icons on your F keys and try any that look display related to see if you can get that to work

Comment

Originally posted by bencrundwell View Post
            Normally Del laptops have a fn+(F key) that cycles which display is being used (internal or external) look at all the little blue icons on your F keys and try any that look display related to see if you can get that to work
            problem is booting up with and displaying to only the external screen as most laptops will revert back to the tft.

you could disconnect the backlight inverter which will stop the screen lighting up. make sure you disconnect the inverter and not the tube from the inverter so the inverter doesnt power up at all.

other solution may be a docking port as some of these let you boot the PC with the screen closed as they are there to let you use exernal screens and keyboards.

Comment

thanks for the help, i did try the fin f8 combos but to no avail, ill try again. There is no docking station either. But if you guys say its nothing to worry about then I wont. The heat issue I think is cause 4 of the 5 fans were out! Now they are running again the comp area should be nice and cool
              98 V6 Camry XLE
              Ze Worklog

Comment

SCOUSE!!! good to see you

Comment

hey TC. talkimg of screens how is yours goimng these days?

and so as to not make this off topic...seriously, consider disconnecting the inverter to stop the lcd lighting up. no point in having it burning away and aging when its not needed.

Comment

yeup... that's why I suggested a small switch so you don't have to keep opening the bezel when you want to use this out of the car...

I've changed out my lcd to a newer sick screen... check here to see what I'm up too

Comment

ugh, but if i suppose if that is my only option i dont have much of a choice
                      98 V6 Camry XLE
                      Ze Worklog

Comment

whats the big deal, it's like 6 screws & seperate the bezel... if you can get a little mercury tilt sensor & throw it in there it could be automatic too

Comment

i suppppose you are right. psh you and your "sense" coming into play with my lazyness
                          98 V6 Camry XLE
                          Ze Worklog

Comment

Im having the same problem, but just unhooking the inverter wont work for me. Whenever I reboot it goes back to the default of displaying the same display on my LCD and my laptop. This would be fine cause I can shut the laptop and have its screen turn off (mine still works). However, whenever I display any video, it only displays on my laptop screen and not my external LCD. I get sound but no video on the external display, the only way I can solve it is by changing the settings so that only the external LCD is displaying, but whenever I restart I have the same problem. Is there any solution for me?
                            What can I say, I love Volvos:
                            Volvo 740 with 5.0 mustang conversion (totaled)
                            Volvo 740 stock (sold)
                            Volvo 940se (sold)
                            Volvo 850 T-5R yellow (sold)
                            Volvo S70 T5SE
                            Volvo C70
                            Volvo 850R with a long list of mods

Comment

that is the problem with laptops!

have you checked your bios for a setting for enabling the VGA out from boot?

also check the advanced tag on your graphics drivers. You should be at least be able to force both displays to run from boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X