laptop guidance please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop guidance please

I have a laptop with a broken screen that I'd like to use as my carputer. It's toshiba satellite pro laptop with a 20 gig drive, vga out, x2 usb ports.

I just wanted to get some opinions and info on what I should be aware of like turning it off and on etc... any advice would be appreciated.

Originally posted by ludikris View Post
    I have a laptop with a broken screen that I'd like to use as my carputer. It's toshiba satellite pro laptop with a 20 gig drive, vga out, x2 usb ports.

I just wanted to get some opinions and info on what I should be aware of like turning it off and on etc... any advice would be appreciated.
    Welcome.

THe best advice I can give you is to search for the answers to your questions. The information is here, it will just require you to find and read it. I would start in the FAQ EMPORIUM. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Then, search the entire forum.

Good luck and enjoy.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I have a Toshiba satellite as well and it also has a busted screen. I just removed it. If you plan on using both USB ports be prepared to get a powered USB hub. You may also need VGA and USB extentions, 10 or 12 ga wire for your power, 24ga for your power button, an external sound card of somesort, and lots of money to throw at unforscene problems.

To turn it on you'll have to:
      1. Get a dock, tear that apart, and extend the leads fromyour power button.
      2. Tear the laptop apart and extend the leads from your power button.

As far as shutting it down, I wired my laptop up to my ACC line so when I shut the car off the laptop battery kicks on. In the power management settings I have it set up to shut off after around 15 minutes. That's enough time to run into a store and grab something most of the time.

Make sure you buy a dc-dc converter to give the laptop clean power.

Also, read the FAQ's around 5 times. And then search for other people that have done similar installs to yours and look and see how they did it.

You'll get it all figured out .
      2001 SS Camaro carputer | My solar dish project/

Comment

laptop install...

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.. here are some more questions..

Do I need to do anything to the screen or can I just leave it on.??? will it work with the laptop in the closed position or do I need to do something to it ?
        I was also considering getting a motorized touchscreen deck that can accept an audio input, has radio, tv etc... and just plugging the headphone out off the laptop which would suffice as the deck would distribute outs to the front, rear, and sub.

You mention a docking station and extending the power button ... do I need both ??
        I was also considering getting a pcmcia 4 four port usb 2.0 hub which I assume is powered similar to an external powered hub except by the laptop.
        I would plugin the touchscreen matrix, gps rec, wireless nic into that hub.

One last thing, you mention "clean power"... an inverter taking it up to 110 then the transformer for the laptop bringing it down to 15V or whatever the voltage is... isn't good enough ?

Comment

Look into the carnetix P1900 power supply as it offers 18v,19v,20v which most notebooks expects. I have my Carnetix P1900 ACPI relay contact wired to my power switch, so now it powers up and powers down my notebook with the turn of ignition key.

If you don't want to open up your notebook, you could see if Wake On LAN works for you. This can be used to turn on your notebook. Turning off is simple, just use windows built in power options.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStealth View Post
            Look into the carnetix P1900 power supply as it offers 18v,19v,20v which most notebooks expects. I have my Carnetix P1900 ACPI relay contact wired to my power switch, so now it powers up and powers down my notebook with the turn of ignition key.

If you don't want to open up your notebook, you could see if Wake On LAN works for you. This can be used to turn on your notebook. Turning off is simple, just use windows built in power options.
            I have the same setup and setup the same.. lol

Comment

do you need to open up the laptop power if you are using a docking station?...i thought you can use the carnetix and open up the docking station power button and connect the acc line to that?

Comment

Working...
              X