This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to solder on this switch?

I am trying to connect 2 wire to the existing switch to make an external switch. When I try to solder to these points, the solder does not stick. I am pretty sure the points are made of solder that I am trying to solder the wires to. Does anyone know why they are not attaching, or what I can do to get them attached?

Thanks (this is my first time soldering, though I practiced beforehand).
    Attached Files

jump any 2... either it'll start or it won't.... repeat as necissary..... when you find 2 that start it, you solder there

there is no danger of hurting it...
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

make sure the connection points are clean, apply flux to the points of contact, put flux on the soldering iron, make sure you heat the solder the point you want soldered not the solder itself. good luck
      REBUILDING!!

Comment

ps, the solder points are the little brown legs you drew...

tin a wire tip, touch it to the leg, then heat just until the soldered tinned wire tip melt's & pull the iron away..... hold it still for a few seconds, then tug slightly to make sure it's a decent connection...

Comment

flux can be ok, but I wouldn't use it here, everything should be clean aready, & you don't want to transfer much heat...

Comment

When I try to solder to these points, the solder does not stick
            yeah I was just suggesting the flux cause he said he was having problems getting it to stick
            REBUILDING!!

Comment

I think he's not soldering in the right spot, the little brown legs he drew is where to solder, & you have to tin the tip of the wire first...,

Comment

DEFINATLY USE FLUX... without the solder wont stick unelss you get everything REALLY hot (including the target metal)... which can possilby melt any plastic touching that metal. The flux allows the solder to flow better at lower temperatures on the target metal. Put a bit of flux on both ends of the contacts then after touching the iron in the flux (to remeove any oxidation) dab the iron in the solder and then touch it to the piece. This is what is called tinnning it coats the metal with solder.

Once both ends are tinned, place them together and just head it up with the iron. This will melt the solder together giving you a clean contact.

Like stated before...but i thought i would clarify tinning and why flux helps.
                Brown 2010

Comment

if the iron is hot enough, the tinned wire tip will liquify & also solder to the switch in like a second or 2... flux can be used, but isn't necissary at all...

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                    if the iron is hot enough, the tinned wire tip will liquify & also solder to the switch in like a second or 2... flux can be used, but isn't necissary at all...

Comment

im not saying its necessary ... it definatly isnt... but if the contacts arent clean (really oxidized) the metal has to get hot enough to basically burn it off. Which can take a while and is sometimes hard to handle...the flux will burn the oxidation off and allow the solder to flow much much more easily.
                      Brown 2010

Comment

ohhh ohh
                        yeah if it is tinned it should take a moment...but if its not...well thats what im saying sorry i cant read LMFAO
                        Brown 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Sidewalksalvage View Post
                          DEFINATLY USE FLUX...
                          Originally posted by Sidewalksalvage View Post
                          im not saying its necessary ... it definatly isnt...
                          alright kid, which is it

JK, where ya been since may???

Comment

LMFAO....yeah sorry im kinda tired...college life sucks alot out of you...

Ive found that flux jsut helps that much more....neccessary nah...i guess not

and yeah... i had to get everything together for my big move to college....unfortunatly i cant have my car up here....its killing me!
                            Brown 2010

Comment

lol, thanks for all your help. I was trying to solder to the silverish parts but
                              I guess I need to solder to the brown legs. The only problem I have with soldering to the browin legs is that the brown legs are so incredibly small/close to the button that it is going to be really easy to accidentaly solder to the button instead of the leg.

Any more suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X