carnetix and laptop question helpp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carnetix and laptop question helpp

hey guys so i purchased my Lilliput recently and now i am looking to get a carnetix cnx-1900. The only problem is that i dont know if the cnx will work with my laptop. It is a Compaq Evo n1020v and the stand alone power says 14.4V. So if i want to use this as my primary (cnx has 18V 19V and something else) and the screen as my secondary (12V) and something usb as my add on (5V), am i able to use the CNX primary to my laptop even though it is only 14.4V?

here is where i got my info from: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11455_na.html

help!

Comment

Pumping 18V (P1900 minimum) into your 14.4V laptop isn't a good idea. Safest bet is to try to get a car adapter for the laptop and connect that to the 12V source on a P1900 or other power supply/regulator. If that doesn't work, you could probably work out some sort of resistor circuit to cut down the 18V but the easier way is to power an inverter from the PS/regulator and just plug the laptop into that.

Comment

hmm, then i cant connect the screen into it bc its also a 12V source

Comment

Sure you can...as long as you don't try to pull more than the 140W it can supply.

Comment

hm i am a little confused. How would connect the laptop (14.4V) and a screen (12V) to something that pumps out 18V and 12V

Comment

I meant if you were running a 12V car adapter or an inverter for the laptop, you'd just run everything off the 12V (a different PS would probably be cheaper/better but this is what I'm doing with the P1900 in my car and it works great). Otherwise, I'm not smart enough electronically anymore to tell you how to drop the 18V down to ~14V (you'd then run the monitor off the 12V source).

Comment

do you by chance aim or some sort of IM

Comment

I don't have any IM software on my machine. Check this out for about all the info I have (other than a small bit of experience) on the P1900:

http://www.carnetix.com/installation...ManualV2_0.pdf

Comment

do you mind explaining the inverter thing again; by it did u mean...connect the inverter to the 18V?.....the screen to the 12V and what ever else i used to the 5V

Comment

Just a quick note, PowerStream (google them) makes a HUGE selection of dc-dc power supplies with different voltages available for decent prices.

The W3bMa5t3r

Comment

just get a Carntiex P1290 and your laptop will work fine with 12 volt rather than 14.4 volt.
                        2006 Camry
                        Compaq Laptop
                        Holux GPS Iguidance 3.0
                        7" Xenarc Touch Screen
                        Carnetix 1900 Power Supplied, Wireless b/g

Comment

yea i thought about that but then i dont know how to power my screen...any ideas

Comment

Originally posted by W3bMa5t3r View Post
                            Just a quick note, PowerStream (google them) makes a HUGE selection of dc-dc power supplies with different voltages available for decent prices.

The W3bMa5t3r
                            hey thanks...i saw those and those from that site and they look very useful. I am not exactly sure which ones i should be looking at, so some guidance in that department would be great. Do you suggest using this as a standalone or hooking this up to the cnx1900

Comment

Originally posted by racerboy0712 View Post
                              do you mind explaining the inverter thing again; by it did u mean...connect the inverter to the 18V?.....the screen to the 12V and what ever else i used to the 5V
                              I understand why I wasn't super clear now, it's been a while since I did the car install where (in hindsight) the P1900 really isn't the best chice but it works and I already had it. I'm not using the primary output (18-20), I'm just using the secondary (12V) to power the monitor and the inverter (and I've got no 5V source). A 12V/5V ps would be a better/cheaper option than the P1900 if you can't directly power the laptop from the primary (i.e you're going to use an inverter or a car adapter). In my van (and originally in the car), I'm using the primary to power the laptop directly with no inverter which is why I got the P1900 in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X