Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Android Tablet thread...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another Android Tablet thread...

    I am currently looking for a Android Tablet, I need the FM-reciever to work in a car environment, since I do not have a headunit anymore.
    The Archos seems to be a good cantidate, unfortunatel to small screen.

    I would also crack it open, needs to be integrated in my console completely.

    Tests on the FM-reciever?

    Suggestions for a tablet with following specs:

    At least 7" screen
    FM-reciever
    GPS
    WLAN
    3G
    Storage, or at least some kind of storage port to add storage to
    USB (harddrive)
    BT
    Audio output

    I use a HTC Desire as a phone, I would basically want one of those with a 7-8" monitor.

    I will modify it heavily, just need the basic specs as above, suggestions?
    www.longway.to
    Mina bilar
    Roadtrip to Murmansk
    Roadtrip to Odessa

    20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
    MB 560SL -86
    MB SL600 -94

  • #2
    Or at least a model that can add all these functions...
    www.longway.to
    Mina bilar
    Roadtrip to Murmansk
    Roadtrip to Odessa

    20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
    MB 560SL -86
    MB SL600 -94

    Comment


    • #3
      Samsung have a new tablet due to be announced on the 2nd in Berlin


      http://web.stamx.net/mobphones/?p=208
      Current:
      [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

      Previous:
      [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

      Comment


      • #4
        Had a quick glance at that one, seems interesting, need the proper specs though, not speculations, guess we'll see in a week.

        Since I have no headunit I need FM-radio.
        www.longway.to
        Mina bilar
        Roadtrip to Murmansk
        Roadtrip to Odessa

        20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
        MB 560SL -86
        MB SL600 -94

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey Gus, I'm wanting to do the same thing when a few android tablets come out later this year. I have a motorola droid now running android v2.2 and I love it. In my car, I have a carpc running roadrunner with xm radio and mp3's.

          I doubt that they are going to have an XM radio adapter from the XM direct module (what I'm using now) to the android software anytime soon, so I'm researching the XM online (internet) software as a possible replacement. on my phone, I have WIFI tethering setup, so I think it's possible for the android tablet to seamlessly connect to my phone and use it's internet connection. That way, I think I could use Pandora for radio.

          Another thing I'm curious about is how are we going to put the tablet into a standby mode when we turn the car off? I dont want to have to manually turn it off and on everytime I get in or out of my car.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tmproff View Post
            Hey Gus, I'm wanting to do the same thing when a few android tablets come out later this year. I have a motorola droid now running android v2.2 and I love it. In my car, I have a carpc running roadrunner with xm radio and mp3's.

            I doubt that they are going to have an XM radio adapter from the XM direct module (what I'm using now) to the android software anytime soon, so I'm researching the XM online (internet) software as a possible replacement. on my phone, I have WIFI tethering setup, so I think it's possible for the android tablet to seamlessly connect to my phone and use it's internet connection. That way, I think I could use Pandora for radio.

            Another thing I'm curious about is how are we going to put the tablet into a standby mode when we turn the car off? I dont want to have to manually turn it off and on everytime I get in or out of my car.
            Perfect, more people interested, more solutions.

            First of all, I have a HTC Desire with 2.2 aswell, best phone I ever had.

            Since we don't have XM in Europe, we have DAB (and that one does not contain many stations), in fact, I have never used it.
            But what we have is nationwide cheap 3G (7,2 Mbit/s) support (4G in Stockholm 2-80 Mbit/s), so I gues streaming will beat digital radio. Anyway, I pay flatrate for my phone and a extra SIM-card, so I will have data transfer in the tablet all the time. In fact, that is what I have today for the carputer.

            I run Spotify aswell for music over 3G.
            But in general I agree with you, a Tablet with Android needs to contain as much as possible to start with, don't think we will see many "addons".

            I use a laptop for carpc, mine starts/stops (Standby, Hibernates and so on) with the ignition key. I don't see the Tablet would be a problem for this. Of course it will have power functions, it has a battery.
            I will set it as with the Laptop, when charging (ignition on), everything on.
            When not charging (ignition turned off), run for a certain amount of time, then turn off screen, after another while, go to standby.
            From what I have read about the arhos, it runs for several days in Standby mode.

            I will definately hack it up in pieces, I want something that looks factory. Installation looks like this right now, no headunit, just an AMP connected to the computer. New installation will be about the same, but would prefer a Tablet with Android.

            www.longway.to
            Mina bilar
            Roadtrip to Murmansk
            Roadtrip to Odessa

            20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
            MB 560SL -86
            MB SL600 -94

            Comment


            • #7
              The Toshiba Folio 100 looks promising, haven't read anything about FM-radio yet, but apart from that...
              www.longway.to
              Mina bilar
              Roadtrip to Murmansk
              Roadtrip to Odessa

              20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
              MB 560SL -86
              MB SL600 -94

              Comment


              • #8
                So far no luck....
                www.longway.to
                Mina bilar
                Roadtrip to Murmansk
                Roadtrip to Odessa

                20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
                MB 560SL -86
                MB SL600 -94

                Comment


                • #9
                  The ICD Ultra or Gemini seem to have everything I need, except a releasedate and a pricetag...
                  www.longway.to
                  Mina bilar
                  Roadtrip to Murmansk
                  Roadtrip to Odessa

                  20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
                  MB 560SL -86
                  MB SL600 -94

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am really hoping for something larger than 7" screen but smaller than the 10 inchers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree, I have 8.4" 4:3 today, might be able to fit a 8" Wide, limited space...

                      Still, the ICD ones hve everything I need, haven't found anything else yet...
                      www.longway.to
                      Mina bilar
                      Roadtrip to Murmansk
                      Roadtrip to Odessa

                      20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
                      MB 560SL -86
                      MB SL600 -94

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ICD, where?

                        So you got information about where one could fine this thing?
                        It looks pretty promising. I only have limited space, only about 16,5 cm for the screen so if it has the 7" screen module inside, it could fit... It does mean that i have to destroy it at site =)
                        Only guess for price is like under 300$ but what it eventually be...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No info on ICD, it seems ICD is a OEM manufacturer that wants soemone to buy their products and brand them.

                          Another one has just started selling in Sweden by Telia, probably available in Finland too, ZTE Light, has FM-reciever.
                          https://www.tewss.telia.se/privat/ad...platta.product
                          I would prefer better screen though, but cheap.

                          Not found anything else yet.
                          www.longway.to
                          Mina bilar
                          Roadtrip to Murmansk
                          Roadtrip to Odessa

                          20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
                          MB 560SL -86
                          MB SL600 -94

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GUS View Post
                            No info on ICD, it seems ICD is a OEM manufacturer that wants soemone to buy their products and brand them.

                            Another one has just started selling in Sweden by Telia, probably available in Finland too, ZTE Light, has FM-reciever.
                            https://www.tewss.telia.se/privat/ad...platta.product
                            I would prefer better screen though, but cheap.

                            Not found anything else yet.
                            Unless the tablet features an external antenna connector, you will be disappointed with the FM radio performance. My DroidX has an FM radio, and while stationary, it is able to recieve most (but not all) of the stations my Visteon HDZ300 unit does in the truck. But moving, it isn't able to get anything but one or two of the most powerful stations, and those only sporadically. I too, had hopedthis would be an effective replacement for at least FM radio reception, but it really isn't. When it comes down to RF, it's all about the antenna....

                            VegasGuy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                              Unless the tablet features an external antenna connector, you will be disappointed with the FM radio performance. My DroidX has an FM radio, and while stationary, it is able to recieve most (but not all) of the stations my Visteon HDZ300 unit does in the truck. But moving, it isn't able to get anything but one or two of the most powerful stations, and those only sporadically. I too, had hopedthis would be an effective replacement for at least FM radio reception, but it really isn't. When it comes down to RF, it's all about the antenna....

                              VegasGuy
                              Of course, CarPC with FM is like the holy grail...

                              But, I want the option and since I most likely will rip the housing off it anyway, I can always supply better antenna amplifier and so on...
                              www.longway.to
                              Mina bilar
                              Roadtrip to Murmansk
                              Roadtrip to Odessa

                              20 cylinders, about 650 hk Mercedes
                              MB 560SL -86
                              MB SL600 -94

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X