Nook Color Install Mustang GT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nook Color Install Mustang GT

Hey everyone, I'll make this short and informative for others to follow. Bought a nook color from barnes and noble ebay store shipped and tax for 220$ it has been rooted with phiremod 5.1 and has bluetooth enabled. I hacked it open and extended the wires for all the buttons so they can be moved. I dont have pictures to put up of the nook as my buddy who owns audio images here in the bay is fabricating it into the frame. Even though I don have a shot of the nook color I do have my audio setup that sounds amazing and very cheap so here it goes.

2x- road rage amp-150w (75rmsx2) (30-60$ each)
    -Clarion equalizer eqs746(50$ ebay BIN)
    3x-6ft rca cables
    -rca aux adapters
    4x-kenwood 6 1/2 mids (70$ BIN for all 4 ebay)

I tested them with my rooted droid and they sound amazing, the clarion equalizer makes a huge difference in sound. I will have my nook color done on monday Ill post pics once it is done and I will be more than happy to help.

Photos will be up soon

there you go
    Last edited by brian31389; 04-04-2011, 03:13 AM.

woot I am done, photobucket is down right now but photos will be up soon. video will be up soon

Comment

Comment

Sweet looking install man!

Comment

That is absolutely fantastic. Have you tried running tasker yet to automate stuff, does it work for you? How is HD video playing? That was the thing about buying those to use for my second row passengers, I heard there's no hardware acceleration to play HD movies (say from family movies taken while away from home, etc.), while other tablets can.

How do you do updates? Over the air? Do you sync with a computer for songs, etc? How about an SD card (the nook has one, right?).

Thanks for posting the pictures, please keep us updated.
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I use my rooted droid x to share internet and gps for the nook. it plays hd really smooth (it is overclocked to 1ghz) and I use pandora and dropbox flawlessly. The nook color has a microsd, what is really great is the fact that it boots from sd before internal memory so its pretty much unbrickable. I haven't tried tasker yet but it seems to be running just fine with phiremod 5.3 rom. Also the nook color has a beautiful screen that can be seen at all angles in my car and even in sunlight.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Cleaned up the equalizer a little bit

its now in the dash

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Also Im thinking to plug it into the accessory 12v on the harness. the nook originally turns on automatically when plugged into the wall so it somewhat has ignition start feature. I would like some assistance from some audio techs out there that can help me with all the constant hissing and static I get now. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
            Last edited by brian31389; 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I agree that the screen in awesome. Very nice equalizer there.

I got that noise too when I connect the iPad to accessory 12v plug. But when I use my M4ATX PSU, I got nothing, it's as if it's on batteries. I think there must be a filter somewhere to connect to the 12v plug?
              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by brian31389 View Post
                I would like some assistance from some audio techs out there that can help me with all the constant hissing and static I get now. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
                I'm no audio-tech, but try and make sure your amps, your 12v accessory harness (and probably your equalizer as well), all ground at the same point. You may also need to put in a ground-loop-isolator like I did.

Edit: Actually, best not to use the 12V accessory harness at all. Those 3 power wires going to your amps, splice the power for your Nook in parallel with those as below.
                Last edited by badmonkey23; 04-14-2011, 02:22 AM.
                Android Tablet In-Car Sliding Dock using hacked DVD drive

Comment

I have my two small amps connected straight to the battery while the equalizer is powered through the harness. also everything is grounded through the harness as well. The nook is getting power by using an extra accessory plug like you see on my face plate (the one on the face plate doesn't work because of this), I believe this is the problem. maybe I should power the nook through the harness instead???

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Wouldnt splicing the nook into those wire be somewhat dangerous in a sense that its not a constant 12v but 12v-30v from start up and fluctuation?
                  Originally posted by badmonkey23 View Post
                  I'm no audio-tech, but try and make sure your amps, your 12v accessory harness (and probably your equalizer as well), all ground at the same point. You may also need to put in a ground-loop-isolator like I did.

Edit: Actually, best not to use the 12V accessory harness at all. Those 3 power wires going to your amps, splice the power for your Nook in parallel with those as below.

Comment

Sorry, didn't realize you had your mini-amps wired directly to the battery, try running the nook off the same harness that the equalizer is running off, bypass the accessory plug. I had the same noise issues when I was running my ipod and iphone off the accessory plug.

Not sure if it's ok to run the nook directly off the battery or not, unless there's a voltage regulator between the battery and the stereo harness. I've been running my ipod and iphone off the stereo harness for over a year.
                    Android Tablet In-Car Sliding Dock using hacked DVD drive

Comment

I unplugged the nook from power and the noise stopped. Maybe its the cheap chinese usb adapter? or maybe I should hard wire an accessory connection to the harness adapter?
                      Originally posted by badmonkey23 View Post
                      Sorry, didn't realize you had your mini-amps wired directly to the battery, try running the nook off the same harness that the equalizer is running off, bypass the accessory plug. I had the same noise issues when I was running my ipod and iphone off the accessory plug.

Not sure if it's ok to run the nook directly off the battery or not, unless there's a voltage regulator between the battery and the stereo harness. I've been running my ipod and iphone off the stereo harness for over a year.

Comment

the noise is definitely a ground loop. ground loops are caused when different devices have different resistances to passing voltage to ground. in a perfect world, this resistance would be zero-- which would mean that you wouldn't have problems...

as bad monkey said, a common fix is to try to connect everything to the same power points. the other common causes are poor grounds--either from a loose/corroded connection, or from a generally poor connection. if your using the factory ground connections for some devices, but sanded the paint off the area for other devices, the factory ground could be a poor connection.

or, as you started to suspect, a single devices poor power supply could cause noise issues as well.

another really easy thing to try is to connect a wire between the negative part of the rca, and ground. sometimes this will drain the noise off the line..(but it doesn't always work, or can make the noise louder-- so be prepared to take it off real fast)
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

So would connecting to the harness 12v and ground be the better option?

Comment

first, try it the way that badmonkey recommended, where the nook uses the same power as the other audio devices. if that doesn't work, then i would try a different power source.
                            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

Hey im a noob at this and I was wondering if we all can maybe get some type of writeup to this magnificent project you just did! I want to do something similar to my car and im not sure how. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X