Android Tablet In-Car Sliding Dock using hacked DVD drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Tablet In-Car Sliding Dock using hacked DVD drive

Here is my sliding Android Tablet dock, made using a hacked-apart PC DVD drive. It replaces the stereo in the double-din slot.

The sliding mount for the dock is just the DVD drive tray and the tray loading mechanism of the drive. After I hacked the drive apart I realized that the dock could have probably been motorized but the damage was already done. I considered buying another drive to motorize but

I was concerned that the weight of the tablet may have stopped the tray from ejecting. And I shortened the tray enough that it would probably eject and fall out.

The face of the dock uses a 3rd party stereo facia that is abs-goo'ed to the dvd drive tray.

Of course most of my time has been spent making the "Factory Dash Texture and Moulding" actually match the dash with lots of sanding and repainting.

For the tablet I'm using a Viewsonic Viewpad7. I wanted 3G and GPS which narrowed my choices down to this and Galaxy Tab, but the Viewpad7 was slightly smaller and because the headphone and charging jacks are on the bottom, I could make a drop-in dock instead of having to plug the cables in at the sides. And the Viewpad7 was only AUS$450 delivered.

The usb charger plug and headphone plug is glued into the base of the dock.

On the tablet I have Torque for OBD2
    I use Find My Phone for tracking the tablet
    I'm also using Tasker with the following profiles/events

When headphone plug removed (ie. tablet removed from dock) - send sms to phone
    when headphone in and usb charging (ie. tablet in dock and car running)
    - turn on gps, bluetooth
    - prevent screen from sleeping

Currently I'm just running a small bike amp in the din slot to replace the stereo's in-built amp, but once I've moved house I will mount a proper amp in the boot.

Functions I've lost by removing the stereo
    - steering wheel controls
    - radio (I never use radio anyway)
    - bluetooth handsfree
    - easy volume control (bit fiddly at the moment, should definitely be easier to change the volume while driving)
    Last edited by badmonkey23; 04-09-2011, 09:48 PM.

Very nice. Looks good. I agree you should have motorized it. Would have been that much cooler. But even without it is very cool. Very nice work on the bezel. Looks factory.

Comment

I remembered reading this article a while back when my wife wanted a concealed ipod dock for her car.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec142.shtml

You could adapt the servo and circuit part to your drive tray very easily.

Comment

I think it looks great! It would be great to have it motorized of course, enjoy it for a while then when you're bored follow the link above for ideas!

The only thing you may want to address is the looks of it when the tablet is not there.
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post

The only thing you may want to address is the looks of it when the tablet is not there.
          I'm thinking that if he is not in the car, and the tablet is removed, why would he care about the hole? No one is in the car to look at it.
          Just saying...

Comment

Well, true. It would just be nicer that way.

Comment

i think it would be best to cover it up. i know that amp didn't cost more then $50, but to some, they might see the big chrome knob, and they'll think it's worth hundreds-- which would justify them breaking into the car...

but the mount looks really good!!

though being that you brought up the volume control issue, i have to mention-- my jl audio cl-rlc does a great job of controlling the volume, and will work with any ipod/carpc/android install
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                Well, true. It would just be nicer that way.
                I agree with you and with Soundman. Just giving your chain a slight yank is all.

Comment

Hah, you actually got me thinking until now on my own installs...so job well done...but yeah, Soundman98 came up (again) with a good point, I agree.

Comment

I'm new here, and started a thread in the newbie section regarding my mission that changes by the hour. If I could do something like this, I don't know how I couldn't do this and drop other possibilities (embedded fanless system, parrot android receiver).

I'm in a Pontiac GTO that looks unusually similar to your interior, but you're steering wheel is on the wrong side. Actually I'm assuming you're driving a holden. I'm quite interested in finding out some details here, but they'd be newguy\facepalm questions. Should I be asking in the newbie section still?

I just got a Xoom a couple of days ago and my eyes litup within the first couple of hours when finding the torque app. So you have to purchase a bluetooth ECU to get that to work right?

I think the part I'm most curious about is the amp that I think I see behind your tablet. Is that an amp? Is that considered just a preamp? What is it, and where can I get one? I'm quite happy to lose the features you mentioned (radio, steering wheel control, use of breaks). My main objective is to play flac\lossless without using a headphone jack, and gain the coolibility of something like Android.

Comment

Thanks guys. I def want to cover the gap when the tablet isn't there, looks rubbish when the tablets removed and I really don't want someone smashing a window to take the cheap pos amp that's in there at the moment. I'll probably put a piece of tinted acrylic in there. I wanted easy access to the amp in-case I need to make adjustments, but it's running ok so should be right to cover it now.

Thanks soundman, I'll consider that inline volume control. I'd prefer to get the steering wheel controls working, I've read of people using bluetooth handsfree kits to control the volume of android devices, so I might try and wire my steering wheel controls to one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by BobMajerle View Post
                        I'm in a Pontiac GTO that looks unusually similar to your interior, but you're steering wheel is on the wrong side. Actually I'm assuming you're driving a holden.
                        I think the part I'm most curious about is the amp that I think I see behind your tablet. Is that an amp? Is that considered just a preamp? What is it, and where can I get one?
                        Yep, the Pontiac GTO is our Monaro Coupe, your interior will be the same as mine.
                        The OBD adaptor I'm using is http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwibluetooth/. On the Torque website there's heaps of warnings about buying a cheap OBD adaptor off ebay.

Yes, the thing behind the tablet is an amp. It's purely in as a replacement for the amp in the stereo that I removed, it's only temporary until I move house, then I will have room to install a proper amp in the boot. This amp is doing the job, but it's not all that powerful, and when the tablet is syncing to the tower, I get those noises through the speakers, I presume it's because the amp is right next to the tablet. I would recommend getting a proper amp, but if you must get one of these, search ebay for "mini amplifier"
                        http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Hi-Fi-Au...item27b538a806

Comment

Man this is exactly what im thinking about doing, this is pretty exciting to see!!! nice work!

Comment

Mate that is a beautiful job, loving the sleek look in the Monaro. I'm cleaning up the dash in my VY soon and have been very interested in getting into the ODB data, but hadn't quite worked it out as I thought holden did all sorts of funny things with the protocol. Will do some more reading on your ODB device and see where that gets me.

Tom.
                            Deathstar Worklog

Comment

i have been thinking about the cover plate a little more--

for a real temporary solution, that costs less then $1, just print off a black page, cut it out to size, and when you take the tablet out, slide the black paper into the area. sure it wouldn't be perfect, or color matched, but it would probably be enough to make someone walking by think that you had a "radio-delete" option.. and it would at least cover up the flashy, shiny chrome stuff...

you could also do the same with a piece of acrylic, or ABS sheeting, though that's gonna cost more then a dollar
                              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X