Most bang for the buck tablet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most bang for the buck tablet?

I'm looking to stuff a 7" android tablet in the double din of my 4Runner. But I dont want to spend over $200. Should I buy used? One of the chinese units? Has to have wifi and GPS.

I went with the dell steak and it can be found in the 200-250 range. It has a dual core processor, 16gb of storage, gps, bluetooth and wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyRover View Post
      I went with the dell steak and it can be found in the 200-250 range. It has a dual core processor, 16gb of storage, gps, bluetooth and wifi.
      Well done or medium rare version?

Comment

i think you just missed you chance on the HP slate tablets. otherwise, focus on last months/years model once the latest-greatest one comes out, and you should be ableo tget one for a little cheaper.

i have not read of too many people that are happy with the super-cheap chinese units.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

I'm expecting a great sale on the Blackberry Playbook. Pretty soon it will be running most Android Apps (except those related to voice, Playbook is not a phone, etc.). Dual core, ultra fast, and the beta android port is ready at crackberry.com

The playbook right now (16GB) is on sale at Best buy for $299.00 (and Office Max and Office Depot with rebates). It was on sale last week for $249.00 and some with coupons manage to get one for $149.00.

I expect it to be 149-199.00 pretty soon, but it will go away fast. Keep your eyes open. If you can't wait a couple of weeks, than you can try a Nook Color, pretty cheap. I just sold mine for $175.00. (Edit: guess I did it at the right time: link)
          Last edited by RipplingHurst; 09-29-2011, 11:21 PM.
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledge1 View Post
            Well done or medium rare version?
            Not postive what you mean, but I'm running the DJ Steve HoneyStreak 3.2 Release 6 Rom on it, speed is outstanding. I downloaded the standalone gps maps for it so I don't even need my phone wifi tether to use it in the car anymore.

Comment

Tomorrow, HTC Flyer on sale at BestBuy for $299.00, according to BB's own release. It's amazing that people are still buying Playbooks on ebay for $350 and HTC Flyers are still selling for $470/390 open box. Who are these people?

$299 is a steal, the screen alone is worth that, if you live in Lilliput/Xenarc world.

Comment

the new kindle fire sounds like quite a steel, not sure about the peripheries though, the nook color is pretty popular too with root, but your going to have to tether GPS

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                  Tomorrow, HTC Flyer on sale at BestBuy for $299.00, according to BB's own release. It's amazing that people are still buying Playbooks on ebay for $350 and HTC Flyers are still selling for $470/390 open box. Who are these people?

$299 is a steal, the screen alone is worth that, if you live in Lilliput/Xenarc world.
                  the same people that keep paying $200-400 for a $50 win-ce netbook on ebay...
                  Last edited by soundman98; 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM.
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

haha, so true. android tablets still need to come into their own a little bit to really integrate into the dashboard, i love mine but it goes dead quite often and doesn't auto boot with external power like some do which makes it a real pain, still looking for a workaround. if you can find one that auto boots with external power you should be set, i know the nook does, not sure about any others

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyRover View Post
                      Not postive what you mean, but I'm running the DJ Steve HoneyStreak 3.2 Release 6 Rom on it, speed is outstanding. I downloaded the standalone gps maps for it so I don't even need my phone wifi tether to use it in the car anymore.
                      You said you got a steak ...

Comment

Originally posted by zr2ee View Post
                        the new kindle fire sounds like quite a steel, not sure about the peripheries though, the nook color is pretty popular too with root, but your going to have to tether GPS
                        The Kindle Fire is great, especially compared to the Nook Color. Dual Core, Amazon perks (movie download, unlimited cloud storage for stuff you buy there, etc.).

However there is no microphone, no bluetooth, and no front camera (Skype, Fringe, Video Calling apps). The reason I sold the Nook Color was the absence of BT.

For the car, the GPS is a must, but without BT, it's hard to connect GPS & charge the device at the same time. I suppose it's possible though.

I'm loving the Galaxy Tab 7", I just flashed a bell modem to turn it into a phone, grabbed the wife's 2nd phone SIM card and it worked! Great for SMS too, not to mention fast 3G. However, it seems that AT&T will block that IF you have a grandfathered unlimited plan (you'll get a 2 or 4/GB one, not sure), which is the case, so I'm scared of actually using that. Google Navigation 5.10 (?) with satellite maps downloaded on the fly looks freakin' amazing. The new helicopter view is fantastic. So it's very tempting. (Yes I can tether from my iP4, but battery goes away fast and it's not that convenient but it works so far).

I'm waiting, 45min to the HTC Flyer sale, if Best buy follows ET time. :-)

Comment

from what i've heard the nook actually does have bluetooth hardware built into the chipset but it was disabled from the factory, i've heard it can be enabled in custom roms. hopefully the kindle fire is similar in that fashion. i don't think you can download full maps for google navigation yet as i've been trying to figure out how to do that but i'll have to do some more research.

Comment

^^^that is true. I actually set up the BT on the nook color, but the hardware had no antenna attached to it. With Phiremod and later Cyanogen 7 build 176 (I sold the thing with build 201, but haven't tested BT with it) you could turn off WIFI, turn on BT, reboot, Turn wifi back on that the BT on stick would stay on and you could pair a GPS or a BT headphone to it.

However, the lack of antenna meant the range was just about 6" (yes, not 6ft, but 6 inches). In your lap, the thing would be full of noises, anything more than that and the connection would be lost. I've heard talks of rigging an antenna to it, it's actually very easy to rip the back plate off (when you remove those sticky skins, the back comes off easily), but frankly, I have no idea if that works, or if later builds fixed the problem completely.

Comment

wow the flyer is a great 7" tablet, and at $299 is a steal, I just recently got mine for $499, that's a pretty big drop on an awesome tablet...
                              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                              X