Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any android that can show external AV, as a rear camera for example.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there any android that can show external AV, as a rear camera for example.

    I have a rear camera installed.
    An android table would be a very good option to display the rear view. I could also see what my kids are watching in the headrests. I mean use the tablet as a simple monitor.
    However I can't find any android tablet with AV-In or some kind of adaptor.
    Do you know any?
    Thanks

  • #2
    Google IP webcam, its the only way you're going to acheive what you want with a tablet
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

    Comment


    • #3
      Not true. It is possible with USB-HOST support and many generic webcams
      Now , Only a few android devices have USB-HOST capabilities ( with devs or manufacturer support )
      But when ICS will be released - every Android device ( that will run it of course ) will be able connect to usb devices such as webcam ( depends on driver support of course , but this can be added by developers )
      HeadUnit : Car-Pc | Processor : JBL MS-8 | Front Stage : Woofer - Mpyre 65M , Mid - Dayton RS100-4 , Tweeter - Tang-Band Ceramic 25-1719S | Subwoofer : Hertz HX250D | Amps : A/D/S PQ10 , Hifonics Olympus XI , SPL AB03445 | Wiring : Sommer , Neutrik

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Madboy View Post
        Not true. It is possible with USB-HOST support and many generic webcams
        Now , Only a few android devices have USB-HOST capabilities ( with devs or manufacturer support )
        But when ICS will be released - every Android device ( that will run it of course ) will be able connect to usb devices such as webcam ( depends on driver support of course , but this can be added by developers )
        You mentioned why i didnt mention HOST mode android devices, because up until this point HOST mode only allows for generic input devices like mice and keyboards. No android comes ready for webcam now because their are no drivers for supporting such devices built in.
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

        Comment


        • #5
          I also think that cameras (depending on the model) may draw too much power from the tablet. I think the Viewsonic G-Tablet can supply .450mA, so you can mount a 250GB HD, it should be enough. But there's no drivers for cameras AFAIK.
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

          07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks but

            In my particular case, I alredy haveinstalled a camera in the trunk and a composite video cable run through the car to the dash.
            I was costly to install and I would like to get benefit of it. I have also tried to find a GPS with av-in function and I had been scammed twiced. I don't want to have two displays, one of the GPS and other for the camera. A table with AV-IN would be the perfect solution if it exist. Unfortunatelly it doesn't, and I'm afraid they will not be design with my problem in mind.
            Thanks for your feedback.

            Comment


            • #7
              this is an expensive option, but it is pretty perfect for a rear cam, maybe except in very low light. It's already weather-proof, has a 170 degree lens and can do 720p @ 60fps. Oh, and they're coming out with live monitoring apps for ios and android

              http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-outdoor-edition/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                You mentioned why i didnt mention HOST mode android devices, because up until this point HOST mode only allows for generic input devices like mice and keyboards. No android comes ready for webcam now because their are no drivers for supporting such devices built in.
                My post was maybe a little bit aggressive , sorry
                I agree with what you are saying but thats why we have devs that work on these things , And there are a couple of devices at least that with custom rom's support webcam usage atm...
                Of course , as I said , all of this will change when ICS will be out - cuz it has native HOST support

                Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                I also think that cameras (depending on the model) may draw too much power from the tablet. I think the Viewsonic G-Tablet can supply .450mA, so you can mount a 250GB HD, it should be enough. But there's no drivers for cameras AFAIK.
                The power "issue" can be sorted by using a powered hub
                HeadUnit : Car-Pc | Processor : JBL MS-8 | Front Stage : Woofer - Mpyre 65M , Mid - Dayton RS100-4 , Tweeter - Tang-Band Ceramic 25-1719S | Subwoofer : Hertz HX250D | Amps : A/D/S PQ10 , Hifonics Olympus XI , SPL AB03445 | Wiring : Sommer , Neutrik

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Madboy View Post
                  The power "issue" can be sorted by using a powered hub
                  Really? I'm not so sure. A powered hub or any usb hub would also require a driver. I have yet to see someone using a hub with tablets.
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                  07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm pretty sure as I'm using one myself with my Nook Color
                    HeadUnit : Car-Pc | Processor : JBL MS-8 | Front Stage : Woofer - Mpyre 65M , Mid - Dayton RS100-4 , Tweeter - Tang-Band Ceramic 25-1719S | Subwoofer : Hertz HX250D | Amps : A/D/S PQ10 , Hifonics Olympus XI , SPL AB03445 | Wiring : Sommer , Neutrik

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That's good to know, thanks!
                      Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                      07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm also debating a tbalet install in my truck, however rear cam is essential during winter snowplowing and trailer hook up. Found some interesting info on usb webcams working on the Nexus phone and A500 tablet. Here is the link. I'm not a coder, so I would have no clue (as of yet) how to write this, but I'm sure a lot of devs would. Check it out http://brain.cc.kogakuin.ac.jp/research/usb-e.html

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X