Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer VS Android Tablet???

Hi,

I'm doing my initial research for my new install. But can't decide. My Android knowledge is pretty poor, so bare with me. This is what I would like:

Music, movies, pictures. - I know this works.
    FM radio (not internet radio) - I don't plan on getting 3G so a normal receiver would be good.
    Steering Wheel remote (I have a Ford Focus MK1) - I've seen a lot of talk but no go. Would be nice to see one working.
    Volume knob - I have a griffin powermate that would be nice to use. If not, I'll use a potentiometer.
    GPS - Built in GPS and the right app can do this.
    Removable - I want an OEM build plus being able to clip it in/out.
    Ext HDD for mass storage - I use WD passports, would they work?
    Bluetooth Handsfree with external mic - I have an iPhone that I would like to be able to use hand free with a tablet and ext mic mounted near me. Can I do this?
    Perhaps TV, DAB radio etc (not essential, would be nice. Again not via internet) - I probably won't do this as additional aerials would probably be needed. But saying that I change my mind all the time. So it would be nice to know.

I know a computer can do all these with additional components, but with a lot more wiring.

I am quite happy with the frontends that I've seen, and tasker.

Thanks
    JM
    Car: Ford Focus
    Currently stock setup. Trying to decide on the best setup for me.

Originally posted by jellymonster View Post
    Hi,

I'm doing my initial research for my new install. But can't decide. My Android knowledge is pretty poor, so bare with me. This is what I would like:

Music, movies, pictures. - I know this works.
    FM radio (not internet radio) - I don't plan on getting 3G so a normal receiver would be good.
    Steering Wheel remote (I have a Ford Focus MK1) - I've seen a lot of talk but no go. Would be nice to see one working.
    Volume knob - I have a griffin powermate that would be nice to use. If not, I'll use a potentiometer.
    GPS - Built in GPS and the right app can do this.
    Removable - I want an OEM build plus being able to clip it in/out.
    Bluetooth Handsfree with external mic - I have an iPhone that I would like to be able to use hand free with a tablet and ext mic mounted near me. Can I do this?
    Perhaps TV, DAB radio etc (not essential, would be nice. Again not via internet) - I probably won't do this as additional aerials would probably be needed. But saying that I change my mind all the time. So it would be nice to know.
    I've never seen Android work as a HFP gateway only the other way around.

Volume knob... depends on if your tablet supports USB host and if Android recognizes the device and if android software knows how to use it. So probably not.

Steering wheel controls... probably not with a Tablet.

Ext HDD... requires usb host. I'm not even certain android supports such configurations.

I know a computer can do all these with additional components, but with a lot more wiring.
    Same amount of wires. The only difference may be the device placement location. If you can fit the hardware in the dash, it may require shorter cable lengths.

Right now I've got a tablet in the car running android (which I will replace with real Linux as soon as I can). It's okay for music and nav. Integration is poor though. Android was not designed for your car.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

I do not think the situation is so bad,
      for steering wheel control is a problem
      for tv and radio see
      http://www.tizi.tv/en/index.html

but for wiring I think it is much easier

look at my example and judge for yourself
      Last edited by aziodale; 05-15-2012, 02:13 PM.
      Huawei Mediapad 7" (1280x800 IPS) | Carnetix P2140

My last update http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...t-version.html

Comment

Maybe with an Arduino? I know for sure you can have them communicate over bluetooth, I've done it. Not sure how to otherwise.

Look for tablets with USB OTG (on the go) functionality.
        "You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller" - Wierd Al

Comment

Originally posted by aziodale View Post
          I do not think the situation is so bad,
          for steering wheel control is a problem
          for tv and radio see
          http://www.tizi.tv/en/index.html

but for wiring I think it is much easier

look at my example and judge for yourself
          You're right. I don't see any wires in the video. It must be easier! .

How do you get the screen to turn on/off with the ignition? Does it sleep or shutdown?
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

A lot of misleading info in this thread so I'll make it short and to the point.
            All of the info below uses ICS w/ Root as reference , earlier versions might not be compatible with some of the stuff

Try to look for a tablet with internal FM radio , although I can't remember seeing one ( only phones )
            You will probably have to mod the antenna or something to get acceptable reception

If you are a developer - any of the available options for linux with source code can be ported to android ( some might be harder than other )
            A lot of useful tools recently came out to help doing just that
            That way you can use any USB Host capable tablet to communicate with it
            Only thing left is to write an app to control it

I've said it a couple of times before
            Joycon can be mapped to execute keyboard keys - that's how it works on linux
            The same thing theoretically can work on android
            I've done it with keyboards and ShuttleXpress ( basically any HID device can do this , see the link down below )

The only thing is I don't have a joycon nor steering wheel remote so I won't test it anytime soon
            If you want to try it , I'll gladly help you

I'm working these days on my ShuttleXpress
            There are a couple of ways to do it - depends on what you want to achieve ( only volume control? driver-like control? ) and what are your coding skills

No problems with USB Host on that subject , even with NTFS on a lot of tablets

TabletTalk is the closest thing right now to that , and the dev is working on audio transfer so we might hear some news soon
            How are you planning on connecting the external mic? I'm experimenting with usb audio

Edit :
            Sorry just saw the iphone :\ thing , I'll leave the above comment for the android guys
            Anyways , TabletTalk solution might bring a BT profile that could be used with an iphone too - pretty wishful thinking , but maybe try to talk to the dev on xda ( he has a thread there ) and get his thoughts on this
            Same control as android probably won't be possible ( on BT obviously not , on wifi I honestly don't know ) , so don't expect miracles

Everything can be done depending on your skills , it's a platform that needs developing to suite our needs
            I'm beginning to scratch the surface on usb possibilities here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1459892

Hope I helped and sorry if I offended anyone , but some of the replies just weren't true
            Last edited by Madboy; 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM.
            HeadUnit : Car-Pc | Processor : JBL MS-8 | Front Stage : Woofer - Mpyre 65M , Mid - Dayton RS100-4 , Tweeter - Tang-Band Ceramic 25-1719S | Subwoofer : Hertz HX250D | Amps : A/D/S PQ10 , Hifonics Olympus XI , SPL AB03445 | Wiring : Sommer , Neutrik

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
              You're right. I don't see any wires in the video. It must be easier! .

How do you get the screen to turn on/off with the ignition? Does it sleep or shutdown?
              for the ignition i use the common app tasker,
              it sleep (no bios screen or boot or s3 stuff ;-)
              just work
              more info about configuration pro and cons at:

http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...t-version.html

i reply at your consideration because i try the pc hw and tablet hw
              and i remove from car a lot of wires

it's a work in progress but not impossible
              Last edited by aziodale; 05-16-2012, 04:07 AM.
              Huawei Mediapad 7" (1280x800 IPS) | Carnetix P2140

My last update http://www.mp3car.com/show-off-your-...t-version.html

Comment

Hi,

right now I am deciding on whether to use a tablet or a real car pc.

I too want fm radio, so I looked for tablets with integrated fm radio.

So far, I found a couple of fm capable tabelts on alibaba, and I got prices for two:
                http://szrico.en.alibaba.com/product...time&edm_ver=e - USD140

http://essential.en.alibaba.com/prod...Card_slot.html - 138 Dollar + shipping

and there is one from ZTE:
                http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2012/0...goes-official/ which has a higher resolution and stronger cpu ~290 Euro.

However I am not sure about the fm qualitiy. Yesterday I attached my Samsung Galaxy S9 to my car antenna. The reception was maixmal fair... My original car radio has a better reception and its reception is not very good.

So for now I am rather back to the car pc, than the tablet. Just because of the fm radio issue...

Cheers Christian

Comment

And one thing I forgot...

About the bluetooth hands free talking. At least in germany it is possible to get so called ultra sim cards (not twin cards).
                  They can be used at the same time and if a call is coming in, both devices holding the sim card will ring, so you can pick up the call on either device.

That would be a way for me to use as a workaround for bluetooth hands free calling.

Christian

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I got a lot more research to do! I think I have gone off the computer idea, mainly because of the touch screens.

I am also looking into the O2 Joggler running Ubuntu, my friend has just ordered one for car use so I'm going to look at that.
                    Car: Ford Focus
                    Currently stock setup. Trying to decide on the best setup for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X