Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nexus 7 : Problem Keeping Charged on Long Trips Using Navigation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexus 7 : Problem Keeping Charged on Long Trips Using Navigation.

I have been testing my Nexus 7 as a head unit and have not been able to keep it charged using turn by turn navi. Has anyone mastered this yet? It looks to me it's eating way more power than I could ever feed it. I have heard killing all the extra stuff running, turning down the screen helps. But what good will it do if it's maxed out running the navi.

I was planning this system on a new build but it looks to me it's back to the trusted old school, never had any problems like this the old way.

Feedback helpfull on this before I scrap the tablet idea

Thanks,

Vince

what are you using to power it with?

Comment

Originally posted by daclothe View Post
      what are you using to power it with?
      12 Volt power outlet socket to usb. 3.1amp. Factory usb cable.

Comment

The only thing I could think to do is to use a shorter usb cable with a larger gauge. This would lower the resistance of the cable and allow more amps to actually get to the tablet. You could also look into a custom kernel that allows fast charge.
        2011 Tacoma Nexus 7 App Radio Install

1993 Lincoln town car Carputer Project

Comment

If you check your tablet's status (settings/about/status) , does it say 'charging (USB)' or 'charging (AC)' when in the car ?
          Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

Is this the one you bought?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088U4YAG/...0_M3T1_SC_dp_1

There's a guy over at XDA that has been using it for 4 months to charge his, and he says it works great.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1959543
            1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

That's 3.1 amps, and the OP says he is using a 3.1 amp charger, meaning the OP is getting the same amount of amps from the charger. Like I said earlier lots of people significantly reduce this amperage by using a long tiny gauge cable. And like PCpete said, you need to make sure you are getting AC charging in the settings. If you aren't then you will need to short the middle pins on the charger.

Keep us updated. I always find it annoying that charging cables for android cant keep the unit powered when using all the features...just seems stupid to me.
              2011 Tacoma Nexus 7 App Radio Install

1993 Lincoln town car Carputer Project

Comment

Originally posted by Lankin View Post
                That's 3.1 amps, and the OP says he is using a 3.1 amp charger, meaning the OP is getting the same amount of amps from the charger
                unless he's using some other no-name faker aka probably not really 3.1 amps charger.
                or maybe he's using that same one.

Comment

which USB power adapter exactly are you using? this one is confirmed to work with the Nexus 7:
                  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088U4YAG/...0_M3T1_SC_dp_1

you may consider an app like this to monitor actual charging rates in order to help determine if your USB power adapter and cable are indeed delivering enough amperage to the tablet:
                  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw

if your phone is rooted, you may also want to boot to recovery and reset the battery stats.
                  Last edited by theksmith; 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

With the Google Nexus 7, there has been a good deal of issue with charging rates. Which version of Android Jelly Bean is the tablet running. I have seen posts elsewhere about charge issues after upgrading to 4.2 but those were mainly issues created by completely or severely discharging the battery. I have also seen reports of poor charging if using a USB cable other than the one shipped with the tablet. Some have improved charging rates by switching to a high quality USB cable. Others have reported a poor fit in the micro USB jack on the tablet. One even noted that due to design, the battery inside the tablet can shift and partially disconnect its plug from the tablet mainboard. I own a Nexus 7 and have yet to experience any charging issues.

Comment

try turning the brightness down turn wifi off bluetooth of and any other setting you may not be using

Comment

Originally posted by Lankin View Post
                        That's 3.1 amps, and the OP says he is using a 3.1 amp charger, meaning the OP is getting the same amount of amps from the charger. Like I said earlier lots of people significantly reduce this amperage by using a long tiny gauge cable. And like PCpete said, you need to make sure you are getting AC charging in the settings. If you aren't then you will need to short the middle pins on the charger.

Keep us updated. I always find it annoying that charging cables for android cant keep the unit powered when using all the features...just seems stupid to me.
                        You should read the XDA thread. I also own a Nexus 7 and I've seen "3.1 amp" power adapters not work because they are complete junk. This one is confirmed to work.
                        1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
                          You should read the XDA thread. I also own a Nexus 7 and I've seen "3.1 amp" power adapters not work because they are complete junk. This one is confirmed to work.
                          You can have a great charger, but it won't do what you want it to do unless you also get a heavy duty cable. One that's thick enough and short enough to carry the current required by the tablet. So the moral of the story is... find the highest quality cable you got (a stock HTC cable works great... or even the one that came with the tablet) and try charging it again.
                          Current Setup

Nexus 7 Tablet
                          Built in head unit
                          Brutus 1500Watt Amp
                          Two Boston 12" subs

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport ;) My 4 door Camaro... lol

Comment

Just because the charger is 3.1A does not mean that that is what it is consuming.

Maybe your tablet is consuming more than his...

Or maybe its battery is worn.

PS - I love the amazon comment Charging will be automatically stop when battery is full. Der! Why even bother mentioning that - it has nothing to do with the charger!
                            Last edited by OldSpark; 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I'm using this USB ROM on my Nexus 7 install with no charging issues. You can enable fast charge and it automatically goes to sleep and enables airplane mode when you turn off the vehicle (as long as that also turns off the power source to the tablet)

http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

Comment

Working...
                              X