Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it's 2017 - what is the best android tablet for car install these days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's 2017 - what is the best android tablet for car install these days?

Hello,
    I am using Nexus 7 2012 for my car install for 4+ years now (with Timur's USB-ROM). It works fine, in general.
    The weak spot is the USB connector. After a while it stops functioning right, causing charging problems, USB audio disconnecting, etc.
    I am on my 3rd Nexus now. After 18 months or so, the first one developed the above mentioned USB problems. Tried to fix with mixed results but eventually it would only charge but the data would not go through at all. Replaced with a refurb.
    On my 2nd (and 3rd) install I made sure that the USB connection was permanent and rigid.
    Worked well for another 18 months or so and then just died (black screen). 3 months ago replaced it with another refurb (they are harder and harder to find for a reasonable price). Worked well until a couple of days ago - USB problems again. I'll probably be able to fix this and it would run for a few months but eventually it will die (it's a refurb and 4 years old).

I don't want to replace it with another Nexus 2012. Want to try something newer/better.

My question: what is the current best tablet for a car install?

What I need is:
    -- 7 inch
    -- OTG with charging
    -- USB host (for hubs, etc)
    -- USB audio support
    -- JoyCon support
    -- Go to deep sleep on power OFF
    -- Wake up on power ON

Any input will be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!
    max
    Last edited by maxthebuilder; 03-07-2017, 03:33 AM.

Anyone? Looks like this forum is not quite alive no more... Is there an alternative? Anyone?

Comment

Been using t's mod a few years now, Just upgraded to his latest with 6.x and still love it. I have 0 issues with usb on my n7, His mode only works with that tablet and I'm pretty sure no other software competes. I have two tablets and both work great. One has a cracked screen that dopes not really cause an interference with the digitizer. I would hate to part with it as I like the back up... but may consider. Shocking they are so hard to find?
      Last edited by S_K_U_N_X; 03-20-2017, 07:58 AM.
      UMPC built in to dash.

Winamp, game emulators, Touchpad built in to car, DVD player built in to dash, GPS gamrmin moble pc. IR remote for use of a remote control. ps2 supper mini keyboard for when needed.

Comment

I did have issues with USB. Probably just because all my N7's were refurbished. Also I use a usb-dac for audio. With those, if there's just a momentary loss of connection the audio poops out and the tablet needs to be power-cycled to get the audio back.
        Anyway, it looks like there's really nothing better than N7 2012/13 out there for a car install.
        My current install is behaving well after I put some epoxy around the USB port. My USB is really a weak spot - I bend it 90 degrees to face not to the side but to the back. It's less sturdy this way.

Originally posted by S_K_U_N_X View Post
        Been using t's mod a few years now, Just upgraded to his latest with 6.x and still love it. I have 0 issues with usb on my n7, His mode only works with that tablet and I'm pretty sure no other software competes. I have two tablets and both work great. One has a cracked screen that dopes not really cause an interference with the digitizer. I would hate to part with it as I like the back up... but may consider. Shocking they are so hard to find?
        Last edited by maxthebuilder; 04-04-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X