Laptop to Carnetix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop to Carnetix

Alright before i get flamed, understand that I have thoroughly searched through the forums a number of times over the last 18 months. I have my car PC put together but am having difficulty understanding one last piece. I want to connect my laptop to the Carnetix CNX-P2140.

I understand that I need to cut open the barrel plug from the laptop adapter and split the three ends (+, Ground, and comm wire) to put into the Main jumper to the Carnetix. Can I use something such as a universal laptop car adapter from Ebay, hack that open and plug it into the laptop -----> Carnetix instead of using the battery power chord that came with the laptop?

If so, any reccomendations/warnings?

Regards,

Dave

Use a multi-meter on your non-hacked adapter to find the voltages and go for it on that eBay find.

Be warned - not all laptops will charge the battery when connecting to a carnetix.
    -WarDriver-
    Server Administrator
    Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
    My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

I had bought a cheap laptop adapter off eBay for my Dell Inspiron 8000 (used in my first carPC setup). the original AC power brick had 3 wires that plugged into the laptop. the eBay adapter I bought used the same 3-pin plug, but only used 2 wires.

so just be aware (depending on the manufacturer) that whil the plug itself will be the same, the wiring behind it may not be. in my case it didn't matter as the laptop still charged even though it was missing the 3rd wire, but in newer laptops it may be a requirement.

you may be better off trying to find a used OEM AC power brick and hack the plug off of that instead. good luck
      F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
      Fusion Carputer [2.0]
      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

I'll try the multimeter when I get home this evening. I will also try to find a used adapter of the same model as you recommended. One final question, so even if for some reason the Cartinex doesn't charge the battery, will it atleast keep it at the current power level? i.e. Stays at %100 as long as I do not use the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Startingline13 View Post
          so even if for some reason the Cartinex doesn't charge the battery, will it atleast keep it at the current power level? i.e. Stays at %100 as long as I do not use the battery?
          if it doesn't charge the battery, then it can't keep it at 100% either.

your laptop shouldn't drain the battery while the Carnetix is powering it, but like any laptop it will still slowly lose its charge over time when it's not powered. so if the carnetix can't charge it in the car, then you'll have to charge it back up from a home AC outlet every once in a while.
          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Heh I like that funny image.

Alright I have one last question. Where exactly do I snip the laptop power adapter cable, to split it to carnetix? I've done a lot of searching here, as well as google and can't come up with a clear answer, or a picture.

Comment

there is only 1 cable that plugs into the laptop. you can "snip" and splice it at any point in that cable.
              Fusion Carputer [2.0]
              Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

So any point before the power adapter, correct?

I'm sorry if these questions seem redundant, but like I said before, I have not been able to find any other resource to find a solution to these questions. I appreciate it all.

Comment

ok a snipped my cord but i am only seeing two wires inside my cable....there is silver wire , and then there is another insulated wire with what looks like copper wire. so these two should be ground and power correct? Only having two wires would mean that i dont have a comm wire right?

Comment

Working...
                  X