Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good alternative to Carnetix when powering a laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good alternative to Carnetix when powering a laptop?

I've read the FAQ's under "Powering your PC", but I wanted to see what you guys suggested. I have used two Carnetix products, the first of which broke after 1 week of use, the second was faulty out of the box, so I am looking for an alternative. What do you suggest?

Regards,

-Dave

Originally posted by Startingline13 View Post
    I've read the FAQ's under "Powering your PC", but I wanted to see what you guys suggested. I have used two Carnetix products, the first of which broke after 1 week of use, the second was faulty out of the box, so I am looking for an alternative. What do you suggest?

Regards,

-Dave
    funny, i just sent in my faulty p2140. before my carnetix psu, i had a reliable auto-car adapter plugged into an extra cig lighter socket i hardwired in order to hide it behind my dash. incidently, my monitor was also powered the same way. as for starting it up, i had a pulse timer relay soldered to the power switch leads. check out the $35 auto-on laptop module by webmaster. i would have definitely got his originally but he was away when i was building my carpc. the laptop shut-control program works well to automatically shut down/hibernate when power is off.

the enemy of good is definitely better. if it ain't broke, don't fit it.
    2007 Mini Cooper eee PC worklog

Comment

I have a switch that I currently use just to turn the comp on/off, and my in dash screen turns itself on when I turn the ignition as it is, so I'm fine without an auto-on module at the moment.

So you suggest a generic auto-car adapter plugged into an extra cig lighter socket then? That is what I figured I would use, but just wanted to verify with another member.

The P21240 was my first one that crapped out after a week, that was about three weeks ago, and this time I bought a new 1900 and it didn't work out of the box. These things would be outstanding if they were only reliable.

Comment

What is this auto-on adapter you talk about - you guys got a link? I'm looking at hooking up an EEE PC, would be a great solution I think.
        Doko ni datte, hito wa tsunagatte iru...

My BMW 335xi install
        My Subaru Impreza install (now retired...)
        Realtime audio freestyle hiphop battles online - www.letsbeef.com!

Comment

Originally posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
          What is this auto-on adapter you talk about - you guys got a link? I'm looking at hooking up an EEE PC, would be a great solution I think.
          Search ebay for eee pc (+ appropriate model) + "DC power car charger adapter". Then you can hardwire an extra female cig socket to connect it to so you can hide it behind your dash.
          2007 Mini Cooper eee PC worklog

Comment

It seems that this is mostly car adapters for the EEE _laptop_.... wonder if there's something out there for the EEE _box_ (desktop version) which doesn't include a battery?
            Doko ni datte, hito wa tsunagatte iru...

My BMW 335xi install
            My Subaru Impreza install (now retired...)
            Realtime audio freestyle hiphop battles online - www.letsbeef.com!

Comment

Working...
            X