How to turn on laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to turn on laptop

I'm going to simply use a car power adapter with a relay that will provide power to the laptop when the acc is high. I'll then tell Windows to shut down the computer after an amount of time. The only problem I have is turning it on. If I standby or hibernate, all I need to do is, say, press a key on a keyboard and it will turn on. Any way to automate that? What happens when a key is pressed?

I'm not interested in a special power supply, and really the only thing that is left is figuring out how to turn ACC into a keyboard press.
    monkey stole my pen

My Worklog

Search around the forums.
    There are a number of ways to pull this off. It's all about which method will work best for you.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      Search around the forums.
      There are a number of ways to pull this off. It's all about which method will work best for you.
      Isn't there an active thread about this kind of response and how unhelpful it is? You could try searching for it.

All I've found by searching is about controlling the power button. I am not going to go into that. I know a computer capable of S3 sleep can be turned on by certain USB conditions. I am asking if anyone knows of a way to wire a usb device to ACC that will cause this USB event.

Edit: This could work, but I was thinking of USB instead of RJ45 because my laptop probably won't support WOL.
      monkey stole my pen

My Worklog

Comment

Use an ipac. It's a keyboard simulator that you can wire a switch -or a relay to. Just remember to use a momentary relay or you'll have continuous keypresses.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          Use an ipac. It's a keyboard simulator that you can wire a switch -or a relay to. Just remember to use a momentary relay or you'll have continuous keypresses.
          Hmmm ... Let me absorb this, I use this ipac to simulate a keyboard press, I connect an external button, so once I press the button, the laptop will wake up on USB ?

Is this the IPAC? :

Comment

I have a "hard wired" setup. One of a kind. But you can checkout: http://www.xobyte.com/
            My CarPc Blog (<This is outdated. I have updated to a fully running Carpc System)http://acurafuse.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by elBradford View Post
              Isn't there an active thread about this kind of response and how unhelpful it is? You could try searching for it.

All I've found by searching is about controlling the power button. I am not going to go into that. I know a computer capable of S3 sleep can be turned on by certain USB conditions. I am asking if anyone knows of a way to wire a usb device to ACC that will cause this USB event.

Edit: This could work, but I was thinking of USB instead of RJ45 because my laptop probably won't support WOL.
              Ironic that you complain about an unhelpful response, yet you do some digging and locate options for your situation....
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

These are the steps I take: 1) turn laptop off. 2) connect lcd tv to laptop via vga cable. 3) Set lcd tv to vga input. 4) Turn on laptop.

The lcd tv shows the bios screen and loading windows screen perfectly fine. When windows loads, the lcd tv goes blank and says no signal.

I'm using windows 7 ultimate. Please help

Comment

Forum's dead useful. Kind of hard to find these genuine commentors nowadays

Comment

Any updates?
                    PriiDash(TM) open source software
                    Enhanced Instrument Panel and Data Logger

Comment

I never went the laptop route, I've been working on android development for a tablet on and off in the meantime. DarquePervert, apologies for the snarkiness. Not sure why I was so irritable.
                      monkey stole my pen

My Worklog

Comment

Working...
                      X