Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop Remote/External Power Switch Mod - NEED HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Remote/External Power Switch Mod - NEED HELP!

Hello guys, I am currently trying to follow WarDriver's Simple and Clean Remote Laptop Power Switch (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/how-...-switch-3.html). I just took apart the laptop bezel and i've reached somewhat of a brick wall. I have little experience in soldering, so this only makes it tougher. The contact pads where I am supposed to solder are EXTREMELY SMALL and almost covered up by the button itself! The picture below is not great, but hopefully you can see what i'm talking about.

Is it those little points on the corner that i would solder to, after testing the continuity? This is going to be a major pain in the *** lol.

And this is a very close-up picture of the button as well

Comment

Originally posted by azngujuonfire View Post

Is it those little points on the corner that i would solder to, after testing the continuity? This is going to be a major pain in the *** lol.
      Testing continuity will answer your own question.

Depending on how the button is set up, you might be able to get away with only using one contact and have the other lead from your external switch go to laptop ground. You'll... have to test continuity.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

ha, yeah i'll be testing continuity shortly after i get home. The points are so small and almost hidden under the square that houses the button. There is barely any space under the button also.

Ok so for the soldering portion, would i tin the wires and then heat the contacts and hold the tinned wire to it as it heats? What would happen if the solder also touched the metal square? I'm worried this may happen since there is so little room

Comment

Test the contiguity - if that board comes out you might want to pull it out of the laptop and flip it over. Sometimes the pins go through to the bottom.

-WD-
          -WarDriver-
          Server Administrator
          Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
          My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

Originally posted by WarDriver View Post
            Test the contiguity - if that board comes out you might want to pull it out of the laptop and flip it over. Sometimes the pins go through to the bottom.

-WD-
            Wooow i never thought of that haha, how simple! I just pried the ***** out of the bezel b/c there were 2 screws that were the most stubborn biatches in the world to remove It was all for nothing, as there is nothing coming out of the back

Ok so since i cannot use the back of the circuit board, this is going to be tough. is there anyway i can somehow "extend" those contact points further outward so that I can solder the wires to them? It is ok if there is solder on the blue board beneath the button right?

Comment

Ok WarDriver, using a multi-meter, when i touched the leads to the top right and bottom left contacts, the laptop automatically turned on w/o having to push the button. Does that mean that these are the two contacts that "close" when the button is pressed? Any other combination of multimeter leads and contacts does not result in the laptop turning on.

Comment

Originally posted by azngujuonfire View Post
                Ok WarDriver, using a multi-meter, when i touched the leads to the top right and bottom left contacts, the laptop automatically turned on w/o having to push the button. Does that mean that these are the two contacts that "close" when the button is pressed? Any other combination of multimeter leads and contacts does not result in the laptop turning on.
                You should be checking for broken contiguity until the button is pressed.
                -WarDriver-
                Server Administrator
                Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
                My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

Originally posted by WarDriver View Post
                  You should be checking for broken contiguity until the button is pressed.
                  When i put the lead on the bottom left contact, it turns on automatically. I tried pressing the button w/ the lead on that bottom left contact, but the multi-meter still reads ~0.000

Comment

Sounds like you're not checking for continuity. Sounds like you're checking for some type of reading. My multimeter doesn't close a switched circuit when checking... I don't think. Now I'm going to have to go try it.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                      Sounds like you're not checking for continuity. Sounds like you're checking for some type of reading. My multimeter doesn't close a switched circuit when checking... I don't think. Now I'm going to have to go try it.
                      Yeah there doesn't seem to be a.setting for.continuity testing. It's a very simple meter. I guess I'll get my hands on one to use

Comment

Ok, i was going about the testing improperly but it's done now, i found the two contacts that are in continuity when the button is pressed.

Now to get a soldering iron with tips small enough to get the job done. So do I tin the wires w/ the solder, and then heat the contacts and put the tinned wires in contact w/ the iron contcats of the button circuit? What wattage soldering iron would be best for this job?

Comment

Working...
                        X