X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good designs for 12v to 19v/3.5A for powering laptops

With ground loop and stuff.

I have seen post adress this but nothing definite
    so it would be nice to get a straight answer...

The schematics that does the job right...

Thanks....

** here it is rewritten, heh **

Heh, I never knew god designed methods for powering laptops :P
    [ MP3CarPC.com :: Digitize your in-car experience ]

* what happened to my sig and avatar :confused: *

Comment

That would be one damn good design if god designed it.
      The 2007 Scion tC + Infill G4 Project | DVDxml.com

Comment

stop taking the **** guys, I think he suffered enough.

milika,

I think you might be better off buying one :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...455&Products=1

If you really want to design/build one yourself check out the WEBENCH from national semiconductor website :

http://www.national.com/appinfo/webe...my_webench.cgi

Good luck

Comment

There is not much choice,
          I can not buy on line, my country will not
          allow this. I can not fina an adapter in my country.
          And leaving the country to buy an adapter is a bit
          extreme, heh...

So i will make it myself...

Webench is nice, but i was thinking more in
          line of working/prowen designes that i would just
          copy/make... If there is any...

Thanks a lot...

Comment

Good Schematic
            Attached Files
            MAZDA MX-3 1994

Comment

post #1: a 5 year bump. nice lol
              Acer Netbook with 160hdd and 1.60 Ghtz atom - to be installed

Comment

Man, I just got a good lol, not just from the title, but the 5 year bump deal!
                Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

Comment

Originally posted by m0r473n53 View Post
                  Good Schematic
                  I know this is an old post, but I wanted to provide some feedback on the circuit in this post (PDF). I have built it and it works very well. It is currently running a AAO and current conversion is very efficient, almost no heat whatsoever.

The text isn't in english and the image quality is poor, but there is one error in the parts list: R9 and R10 are specified as 6.8 kohm where they should be 6.8 ohm, the schematic is correct. Otherwise it worked perfectly. Constant draw is 5A with 10A intermittent, and voltage is adjustable.

Comment

CanuckMart, where did you get your components from and what was the total cost if you don't mind me asking? I might take a run at building this instead of shelling out 150 for a Carnetix. Thanks!
                    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Hi PhilG

I have used such an Carnetix for laptop powering in the past. Now I have an Archos for my car.

You can have it for 20$ (plus shipping costs) if you are interested

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG View Post
                        CanuckMart, where did you get your components from and what was the total cost if you don't mind me asking? I might take a run at building this instead of shelling out 150 for a Carnetix. Thanks!
                        In all honesty it wasn't cheap (all from Digikey), but it was an experiment that I was working on anyway. I can't recall the exact total cost as the parts were in a larger order with other stuff.

There is an update on this - I had significant ground loop noise issues. Granted it was not the final install (just a test rig for the moment), but the common ground in this design caused a loop issue severe enough to make me rethink the final design. Final wiring would address ground resistance issues on the analog audio side but not on internal computer/USB losses. This is where the inverter/transformer setup has an advantage as it breaks that ground loop - that will probably be the final design in my rig.

Comment

Originally posted by upspace View Post
                          Hi PhilG

I have used such an Carnetix for laptop powering in the past. Now I have an Archos for my car.

You can have it for 20$ (plus shipping costs) if you are interested
                          Thank you for the offer, upspace, but you are not in North America, correct? If thats the case, can it be shipped reliably to Canada at a reasonable expense? Is it the P1900?
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckMark View Post
                            In all honesty it wasn't cheap (all from Digikey), but it was an experiment that I was working on anyway. I can't recall the exact total cost as the parts were in a larger order with other stuff.

There is an update on this - I had significant ground loop noise issues. Granted it was not the final install (just a test rig for the moment), but the common ground in this design caused a loop issue severe enough to make me rethink the final design. Final wiring would address ground resistance issues on the analog audio side but not on internal computer/USB losses. This is where the inverter/transformer setup has an advantage as it breaks that ground loop - that will probably be the final design in my rig.
                            Thank you for the answer on this CanuckMark, I guess prefab will be the way to go for me, I do have the ability to assemble but not design or modify design. It sounds like you have the ability to isolate the ground issue and redesign if necessary, good luck with it!

Comment

yes it is the p1900. shipping to canada is possible (i am in switzerland) and costs are approx. 30-35$ so in total 50$.

Comment

Working...
                              X