Dying Screens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying Screens

I have had 3 different motorized LCD VGA touchscreens in my car, and they have all died after a period of time. My latest screen, the GL701 as shown on the mp3car.com website (not purchased there, though), died about a month ago. I sent it in for repair in Hong Kong, but I have some questions.

1. Have any of you had this type of screen (motorized VGA touchscreen) fail on you?

2. Do you know why it failed?

I would like to answer these questions so that I can prevent my screen from dying again when I get it back.

Originally posted by ajscomp372 View Post
    I have had 3 different motorized LCD VGA touchscreens in my car, and they have all died after a period of time. My latest screen, the GL701 as shown on the mp3car.com website (not purchased there, though), died about a month ago. I sent it in for repair in Hong Kong, but I have some questions.

1. Have any of you had this type of screen (motorized VGA touchscreen) fail on you?

2. Do you know why it failed?

I would like to answer these questions so that I can prevent my screen from dying again when I get it back.
    By dying do you mean the motor stops working or the screen stops working?

The motor on motorized screens are notorious for failing...

If the screen fails, how does it fail? Just nothing, or does it power on but nothing on the screen, or does the magic smoke genie escape your screen?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

By dying I mean that the motor continues to work, but the screen does not. When it fails, it's usually nothing happens or it powers on with nothing on the screen. This last one the screen worked but the touchscreen stopped working.

Comment

Well that just seems like cheap quality. Buy a better unit, and not 3 of the crap cheapo kind. I have a cheapo chinese screen and it works great. Not motorized though. If you want quality though, you will have to pay.

When nothing happens, it could be the fuse has blown, or a power trace blew because they aren't big enough. I know my screen's power traces are the absolute minimum they are allowed to be to pass the required average current. The traces are too small to pass the maximum current, but it is assumed that short bursts of high current are ok because it will cool down. Maybe yours doesn't.

If nothing is on the screen could be that the backlight went out or the inverter to the back light went out. Or even the cable just fell out. More common than you think.

And when the TS stops, if it just goes to the bottom and responds but wrong, you need a new overlay (digitalww.com for $50 or ebay for $30) but if the entire thing stops then you need a new controller ($50) and it is on a seperate board.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by ajscomp372 View Post
          I am interrested in buying your broken lilliputs.
          New prototype : 2DIN AUDI OEM-LIKE CARPC based on SYMPHONY II
          Motorized InDash Screen, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, SSD

Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V1
          Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V2 = LM-Lilliput Prototype

First project in Peugeot 306

Comment

I have confirmed by backlight or inverter has gone out because at night with a flashlight, I can see an image. Whats the best way to go about fixing this?

Thanks

MantisX

Comment

Open it.

Firstly, check the fuse (I think it has a separate fuse on the PCB). It looks like as a smd resistor, but marked as Fx (x is 1,2,3,4,etc.) It is usually white.
              The unit that responsible for the backlight is separated or is on a separated PCB. So you can identify easily, because there are black/yellow labels with high voltage warnings.

Secondly, one of the transistors/FETs may be wrong next to the transformer. There are two, SMD, size approx. 8x8 mm.

Thirdly, the transformer secunder coil shortcut or the malfunction of the controller chip. But these are quite rare. Other errors are more rare.

The backlight unit is rather simple, so these are the most vulnerable parts.
              Alopecia perniciosa

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                Well that just seems like cheap quality. Buy a better unit, and not 3 of the crap cheapo kind. I have a cheapo chinese screen and it works great. Not motorized though. If you want quality though, you will have to pay.
                Well, I thought that Lilliput screens were quality products. They are expensive. In addition, I bought the latest screen that is now sent out for repair from an authorized Lilliput retailer. Is $550 is not enough money for a quality product? What motorized in-dash VGA touchscreen do you recommend as "quality", and how much does it cost?

Comment

Lilliputs are cheap. Xenarcs are expensive.

No fold out screens are quality. That is why people mold them in.

Comment

Working...
                  X