Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a transflexive touch screen worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is a transflexive touch screen worth it?

    I've been thinking a bit about getting a transflexive touch screen, but has anyone bought one and thought it was worth the extra $$$? I also want to get my windows tinted anyway and maybe that will help. Any experience with that?

    Thanks
    Carputer Progress:

    Re-do fabrication of screen [DONE]
    Add mini-USB and micro-USB power from M2-ATX [DONE]
    Teardown PC [100%]
    Add HDMI > VGA converter [0%]

  • #2
    Originally posted by fatejd View Post
    I've been thinking a bit about getting a transflexive touch screen, but has anyone bought one and thought it was worth the extra $$$? I also want to get my windows tinted anyway and maybe that will help. Any experience with that?

    Thanks
    Your joking, right?

    How about you search for transfleCtive instead.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

    Comment


    • #3
      fatejd - I've noticed a huge improvement by blocking out the ambient light coming in from the back window. I also notice an improvement by wearing dark long sleeves. I have'nt gone as far as painting my right hand black but I think that would also help.

      If you are gonna tint any way let us know if you see an improvement.

      Comment


      • #4
        Totally worth it.

        Initially had the Xenarc 700TSV.

        Used it for a week before ditching it for the transreflective.
        Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

        Comment


        • #5
          if you don't do transflective, after your all done, configure your front end.... maybe get a cool skin, everythings cool & the pc starts & shuts off with the ign... at that point, THAT'S when your going to be kicking yourself in the *** for not spending the few hundred more for a screen you can actually use & actually see... even in the daytime..... anytime...., you'll wish you could "fix" it for just a few hundred bucks at that point...., unless your thinking you may not even make it to that point anyway, it's a no brainer really

          it's well worth it if you want a really nice system, no question about that... depends how "nice" you want your system to be really... some people would rather save & do it as cheap as they can & then accept the comprimises too

          ok, last argument.... the screen IS the carpc.... NOTHING else really matters in the end, & in every day use the screen will be the ONLY thing you'll actually interact with, the pc could be in a cardboard box shoved under the seat, don't affect you or anyone else who views it, the screen is the whole show really......

          I'd rather have a good screen & a pIII than a fire breathing dual core with a screen that I can't see at all times & is very hard to view at times, the sun can hit a screen so bad that you can't even tell if it's on or not...
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

          first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

          Comment


          • #6
            I paid $500 to get my Xenarc into Canada, and spend many hours making a bezel for it.

            Then they come out with an upgraded lilliput that is a different size than the xenarc so it won't fit in the spot I have for it. Not to mention the costs involved with getting the lilli here would likely be close to a thousand dollars. All said and done, I would be looking at $1,500 invested in screens.

            IMO, the people who upgrade the lillis really need to sell a DIY kit for the Xenarcs. Other than that - they're useless to people who already have invested in screens.

            If you will be using an input device other than the touch screen, save the money. The touch overlay is what causes the most glare. I might as well swap my screen out for a mirror as it blinds me everytime the sun hits it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I may invest in a 10" transflective TS that one guy on here is selling if I know it will fit well on my dash. I thought about adjusting the screen so it is angled to not reflect much light, which could be a good solution for some/most people. I think I'll try to do that again before I decide...
              Carputer Progress:

              Re-do fabrication of screen [DONE]
              Add mini-USB and micro-USB power from M2-ATX [DONE]
              Teardown PC [100%]
              Add HDMI > VGA converter [0%]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                if you don't do transflective, after your all done, configure your front end.... maybe get a cool skin, everythings cool & the pc starts & shuts off with the ign... at that point, THAT'S when your going to be kicking yourself in the *** for not spending the few hundred more for a screen you can actually use & actually see... even in the daytime..... anytime...., you'll wish you could "fix" it for just a few hundred bucks at that point...., unless your thinking you may not even make it to that point anyway, it's a no brainer really

                it's well worth it if you want a really nice system, no question about that... depends how "nice" you want your system to be really... some people would rather save & do it as cheap as they can & then accept the comprimises too

                ok, last argument.... the screen IS the carpc.... NOTHING else really matters in the end, & in every day use the screen will be the ONLY thing you'll actually interact with, the pc could be in a cardboard box shoved under the seat, don't affect you or anyone else who views it, the screen is the whole show really......

                I'd rather have a good screen & a pIII than a fire breathing dual core with a screen that I can't see at all times & is very hard to view at times, the sun can hit a screen so bad that you can't even tell if it's on or not...
                He's right. It may be a downer to those short on cash (which is the only reason NOT to get a screen you can see in the daytime), but he's right.

                Sometimes you have to pay to play.

                Originally posted by billmee View Post
                I also notice an improvement by wearing dark long sleeves.
                Hmmm..changing one's style of dress for their car computer is going a bit far, IMHO. ;-)

                An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm with them. I have no idea why people have been recommending it since I can't see how it would have ever worked during the day. I went with this thinking transreflective was only for convertibles, but was horribly wrong.

                  I'm 100% going with the 7" lilliput transreflective screen shortly. This should be in LCD/Monitors forum.
                  Ken

                  IS300 IBP manual

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bigpimpn79 View Post
                    I'm with them. I have no idea why people have been recommending it since I can't see how it would have ever worked during the day. I went with this thinking transreflective was only for convertibles, but was horribly wrong.

                    I'm 100% going with the 7" lilliput transreflective screen shortly. This should be in LCD/Monitors forum.
                    Well, before the transflective, there weren't really any options other than CCFL lit LCDs like the Xenarc, and the Xenarc was one of the brightest of those, so the Xenarc is what many people installed (and had to put up with).

                    An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thread moved to the appropriate forum.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                      Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You decide, Transflective = Correct visibility at sunlight(not superb, but ok)
                        Non trans = Your screen is converted in a mirror at sunlight.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Turbocad (Message #5) tells it very well. The screen is the heart of the user interface. A transflective screen provides usability under most conditions that would wash out a normal screen. I count it as a very worthwhile purchase.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              sooooooooooo true dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              The screen is by farrrrrr the bottleneck of the carputer setup. GOOD MONITOR=GOOD CARPUTER
                              BAD/SMALL/NON TOUCH SCREEN= BAD CARPUTER

                              CHECK OUT THE TOUCHSCREEN I PICKED UP ON EBAY FOR $150 PLUS SHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              its a 17" TOUCHSCREEN.......can you imagine...........its sick!!!!



                              This sucker is sitting in my room and I'm tryin to figure out how in the hell to execute this riteous install in my 2002 honda civic. It will fit somehow and i'll keep you guys updated.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X