It's alive!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's alive!

I just got my Dennis K setup running! It worked the first time I turned it on....no issues whatsoever! Shocking!

Divx looks ok - I can tell it's 12 bit, but I guess it's watchable. Everything else looks pretty good! I played a little Quake 3 on it and it worked well. I can't wait to put it in the car!

Thanks to all who helped!

I will post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks!
    - Jeff
    95 Mustang GT Convertible
    87 Mustang GT Convertible
    My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

glad to hear you are up and running...

and believe me 12 bit starts looking quite ok when you find out that 8.4 inch 18-bit screens are like $500, ususally more too!!

im pretty satisfied with my DK screen. just gotta get some motivation to put it in the car!

~Mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Thanks Mp3Z24 - I got a lot of great info from your posts about the DK screens.

Well, here are some pics:

Not to bad, huh?

- Jeff

Comment

looks good...

glad to be helpful, directly or indirectly

at the moment, im quite happy with the 12bit for the car... i dont think i could justify putting more than that in the car. hell, all my friends told me i was crazy for even doing this project in the first place.

what kind of car are you putting this into?

im going for something similar to arby, but mine is going to be in the middle of the dash, rather than the bottom. ive got a 5-spd and it wouldnt do much good to put the screen behind the shift knob!!!

~mike

Comment

It's going in an '87 Mustang GT Convertible. I know what you mean - all of my friends....actually everyone...even family start to crack a smile when I start to tell them of my plan....But wait 'til they get to play video games or watch a movie or browse the web or listen to any song they want....then we'll see who's smiling

I couldn't of hooked up the screen without this forum - I had a very rudimentary knowledge of electronics (resistors, diodes, etc..) before I started on this project. Like, I knew if I put my keys into a wall socket, I would get badly shocked (did it when I was like 4) but that's about it. However, I started reading books about it, and this forum...and voila, it's all becoming a bit clearer I actually feel I know something about it now.

I am creating a custom mount for the lcd in the car out of fiberglass....something I have some knowledge about I am making the lcd modular, so if I ever want to upgrade the screen, I can just plug in the box containing the new screen (similar to the way Leslie mounted his screen). I have an LQ10D367 that I am thinking about putting in the trunk on the underside of the trunk lid....when you open it and hit a release button, it'll swing down to a 90 degree angle to the ground - but I am not sure yet....I think I should stick to one project at a time

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jzgt
            I think I should stick to one project at a time
            hobbies + projects
            1. mp3 player
            2. motorcycle restorations (2 currently)
            3. paintball
            4. R/C truck
            5. model cars (4 currently)
            6. frisbee golf

projects i have on hold till i finish the ones i working on
            1. LCD projector
            2. home theater subwoofer
            3. N64 case mods
            4. home mp3 player/divx box
            5. about 6 more that i have forgotten at the moment

glad im working a full time engineering job and not married....

i really need to start finishing some stuff!!!
            plus you should see the mess of a room/workspace i have at home. got projects laying all over the place

~Mike

Comment

Ok, I gotta know. What the hell is Frisby Golf?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippman
                Ok, I gotta know. What the hell is Frisby Golf?
                ... a thread hijacking....

frisbee golf is essentially the same game as regular golf but you play it with frisbees, but everyone calls them discs, since frisbee is a whamm-o disc...

the holes are actually catch devices that you throw a frisbee into....
                disc golf "hole"
                you throw it toward the chains, which stop the disc, and then it falls in the basket. that is considered "putting the ball in the hole" in real golf

the courses are generally laid out in a golf like setup. 18 holes, short/long, fairways, hazards.

the discs are designed for specific purposes. driver disc, approach disc, short range disc, putter disc. just like normal golf clubs. each one is made to perform differently, some go striaght, som curve, putters are usually soft.

in truth the game is very "hippie-ish"

it is a pretty fun game and i do recommend it to anyone, i just started playing a couple weeks ago, and i love it!!! very relaxing and enjoyable. the discs go for ~6 up to ~30, like any activity, it has its enthusiasts who will go all out. the places i play are free, but i dont know if other places charge "green fees". i would imagine some places would, because there are a lot of really nice courses to play on.

later

~Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24

in truth the game is very "hippie-ish"

"green fees"
                  i think we all know what he's insinuating
                  Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                  Mods: Yep
                  Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Working...
                  X