Noise From LCD When Running On Inverter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise From LCD When Running On Inverter

Hi everyone. I was hoping one of you bright people could help me with a problem. I have recently installed a 17" ViewSonic LCD in the car. The LCD runs beautifully however it is making a loud buzzy noise from somewhere. I think it is likly from the transformer in the monitor. There is no noise when I plug the 240V socket into the normal home mains supply but when I plug it into the 300W inverter in the car the moinitor lets out the noise. The noise even continues if the monitor is turned off and only stops when you pull the plug from the inverter.

If anyone knows the cause of the noise or a possible solution to stop it I would be most grateful. Many thanks, Luke.

Its caused by your inverter. Most inverters put out a horrible power source that has very little to do with AC power that they emulate. You have two real choices here, either get a pure sine wave inverter or buy a new monitor that takes a low voltage input from a universal power supply. The monitors usually take 12v so there will be loads of power supply choices. Yes you still need a power supply for 12v as your car is nearer 14v if you didn't know. Pure sine inverters are more expensive and probably the same cost or more of a new monitor but I don't know what else your powering from it. Personally I would change the monitor as 240v AC has no place in a car but that's just my opinion a lots of people do it.
    Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Thanks mate. Have been doing a far bit of net surfing during the day and was pretty sure this was the problem. What sort of monitor would you reccomend?

Thanks again, Luke.

Comment

Will look out some models tomorrow at work for you. To be honest I shy away from buying them now for work as the external power supply is the common failure point on them. Not a problem for you of course as you wont be using it. If your any good at electronics you could take the back off the monitor you have and tap in after the built in power supply.
        Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

I thought about that but I'm not to sure what power (volts and amps) would be required by the monitor. I suppose I could check that with a multimeter. Then there is the problem of getting a power supply to match the required volts/amps.

Comment

Working...
          X