dww-700h - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dww-700h - what am I doing wrong?

When this unit is connected to a desktop computer as the only monitor, it displays the Windows XP desktop with no problem.

When I connect it to a laptop (WinXP) and switch the laptop's output to the secondary screen, the dww-700h and the laptop don't see each other.

dww-700h says "Disconnected" on the screen, and the laptop switches back to regular output after ~.5 second.

I tried this on 2 different laptops with the same results.
    Am I not doing something in Windows, or is it something with the dww-700h that should be done?

Thanks in advance,
    -Daniel

what resolution are you running at? make sure that your laptops secondary screen resolution is set as low as possible (800x600 or 1024x768 should work) and make sure your refresh rate is at 60 (my transflective screen wont show at 75Hz, but will at 72Hz..but all should work at 60)...

hopefully that's your problem. i doubt its a hardware issue from both laptops...just a skewed setting...

Rij
    Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
    Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
    Subwoofer: removed
    Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
    Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
    Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

I tried it at 640x480 at 60Hz and 75Hz. Should the laptop not recognize the screen though, if the resolution/refresh rate are wrong? And should the screen say "Disconnected"?

I will try 800x600 tonight and see if that works.
      Thanks for the info.

Meanwhile, if anyone has other suggestions, please don't hesitate to post.

Comment

Did you ever connect another external monitor to your notebook? Usually there is a key combination on the keyboard to enable the vga output. Check it. Elsewere you have to see in the monitor properties or the vga properties of your notebook to see if the 2 monitors option is enabled.

Comment

Well, it tries to switch for ~.5 second, and can't. I would assume that means that it thinks something actually IS attached. I enabled the second monitor in the Desktop Properties - Settings tab.

Now I'm thinking, maybe the monitor needs to be attached before I boot?

I will try these things when I get home tonight and post an update on what's going on...

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

normally you shouldnt have to have the VGA plug plugged in when you boot up....its plug and play...kinda...

are your video drivers up to date? sometimes your drivers will prevent you from accessing multiple monitors because it wont recognize a secondary display. check your display adapters in your device manager and make sure its all installed...i doubt this is the problem since you checked it on two different laptops, but it knocks out another area of troubleshooting...

Rij

Comment

You are right. Now if all of that checks out, what is the next thing I should be looking at?

It did work fine when it was connected to a desktop as the only monitor.

Comment

how old are the laptops? are they fairly new (1 to 2 years old)? have the laptops been dropped, and possibly damaging the VGA output? are you sure the settings on the display properties are correct (extend desktop to this display, clone, etc. etc. etc.)? the resolution and refresh rate are both compatible with your display?

other than that, i cant think of anything at this time. check all of those and see if any of them fix your problems...

Rij

Comment

Yeah, one laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501 (about 3 month old) and the other one is a Sony Vaio (can't remember the model #) about 2 years old. It seems that it must be something with the settings, because it did work on the desktop.

I'll play around with it more tonight and post any updates.

Comment

Well, I tried it with a 3rd laptop (Averatec 3250H), and it just worked. That's the laptop I was originally planning to use in the car. Now I just need to figure out the settings on the monitor - it displays red instead of yellow, and increasing green and blue doesn't do much. Also the brightness setting doesn't change the actual brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_gabriel View Post
                      Well, I tried it with a 3rd laptop (Averatec 3250H), and it just worked. That's the laptop I was originally planning to use in the car. Now I just need to figure out the settings on the monitor - it displays red instead of yellow, and increasing green and blue doesn't do much. Also the brightness setting doesn't change the actual brightness.

tighten up the connector in the back of the unit, i had to use pliers to tighten it. that round plug for the vga

Comment

Hmm... I will try that tonight. Thank you much for the info. By the way, everything else works great, as you've said.

Comment

Yep, tightening the connector w/ pliers fixed the problem. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X