backlight upgrades?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backlight upgrades?

well i have one of the DennisK screens and it is 150 nit... i think this should be okay for daylight, but obviously not direct sunlight.

does anyone know of anywhere that i can aquire some upgrade backlights for lcd panels. i doubt anyone sells specific lights to fit behind specific panels, but these things should be relatively standard size.

any possible ideas would be helpful. im not to sure if this will even be necessary, since im super lazy and havent dont much installation work yet. so, i dont know how good/bad this will look in sunlight.

~Mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Many (but not all) panels have the backlight built into them in such a fashion that it is not practical to replace them. Also, most of the brighter panels use dual backlights to achieve the higher brightness, and I'm guessing at only 150 nits your panel has only one backlight.

Lastly, most backlights seem to cost about as much as an entire panel (around 40 USD). So it seems to me that you're *probably* better off just finding a new panel compatible with your controller and upgrading that way.

Comment

yeah it is a single backlight.

i *REALLY* like the size that this screen is, and if i ever get around to installing it in the car, it will probably be the biggest screen i can fit in the dash.

~Mike

Comment

Do you have specs, links from that screen ?

/me is looking too

Comment

here is the datasheet...

http://www.a2zrealty.com/sharp/lq9d161.pdf

i am thinking about led lighting as a possibility, but i am getting WAY ahead of myself, as this isnt even in the car yet, so i dont know if brightness is going to be a problem yet.

i also have located a fiber optic backlighting company, and i am seeing about a quote for something that would work. but, i'm pretty sure it will cost way too much

~mike

Comment

There are a few things I feel you can do to increase the ''apparent brightness' of your LCD in a car.

1. Tint your windows

2. Move the LCD to a lower position in the car. I had my LCD mounted nearly infront of the windshield at one point, moving it down to about the level of my shifter definitely helped out.

3. Put the LCD in a recessed area.

4. Get darker seatcovers. I know for where my LCD was...in direct sunlight the LCD would reflect like a mirror and the only thing I would see are my bright gray seats. Putting black seatcovers over them helped a bit with absorbing the light that was reflecting onto my LCD.

Comment

My 200 nit is just barely readable in direct sunlight.
              www.arbybean.com

Comment

I have a 150 nits screen, and it is next to useless in sunlight, so i`m after a brighter screen. The toshiba LTM10C210 is 400 Nits (it has 2 REPLACABLE ccfl backlights), but they never seem to come up on e-bay, and I can`t find anywhere else that sells then at a reasonable price (ie less than $100).

If anyone knows any sources of toshiba lcd's.... plz. post, as I really need one! asap
                My Setup

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMatty
                  There are a few things I feel you can do to increase the ''apparent brightness' of your LCD in a car.

1. Tint your windows

2. Move the LCD to a lower position in the car. I had my LCD mounted nearly infront of the windshield at one point, moving it down to about the level of my shifter definitely helped out.

3. Put the LCD in a recessed area.

4. Get darker seatcovers. I know for where my LCD was...in direct sunlight the LCD would reflect like a mirror and the only thing I would see are my bright gray seats. Putting black seatcovers over them helped a bit with absorbing the light that was reflecting onto my LCD.
                  1. Gonna do that...
                  2. It will be mid-dash
                  3. Gonna try to do that
                  4. Mine are black with little red flecks in them.

Originally posted by Arby
                  My 200 nit is just barely readable in direct sunlight.
                  hopefully it wont be in the DIRECT sunlight. the tinting should help, but i shall have to see once i get it installed!!!

Comment

Hey I'd pay $100 for a 400 nit screen (if its almost new). And sell you my Sharp LQ104V1DG11 (350 nits). Where did you see them?

Comment

Working...
                    X