Hinged Screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinged Screen?

My biggest concern with mounting a screen is security. In the center of my van's dash is a large oen area that could hide a monitor if I could put a hinge on its top, and have it swing to about 45 degrees since it would be pretty low.

My problem is how to keep it up at that angle while driving without using a strut from below. Preferebly I could reach down, swing it up manually where it would stay stably until I pushed it back.

Maybe an enclosure like those that roof mount for DVD players? The one in my friends minivan has tight hinges and stays at the angle you move it to.
    Carputer Project Status:
    0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
    Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

I just found these too:

http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html/xlsearchhinges.asp

With a laptop hinge I could put it externally on the case, but it looks like the Xenarc 7" has a connector on its side, which would get in the way.

I'm a little worried about the screen shaking a lot over bumps compared to a fixed install, but I guess the screens are pretty light.

I'm also thinking that the in-dash flip-out could be mounted some way down there. Hmm...

Comment

Check my web site for how I did this. Link is in my sig.

If I did it again, I'd use a linear actuator as the servo method I used only keeps the screen up if you have power to it.

An actuator or a screwjack would eliminate the problem.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

a simple mounting plate should work as well . . like the ones they use to attach license plates on bikes. . . I can get you the schematics to make a motorised one as well (again its on a CBR forum so its made for bikes but Im sure it can be retro fitted.)

Comment

Thanks. I don't want it motorized for simplicity. I'll probably just fabricate a mount to put a 700IDT down there at an angle so it faces up more. I like that it swivels L/R.

Comment

Working...
            X