Xenarc ovners...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc ovners...

Since I am trying to decide on an LCD... can someone who owns a Xenarc answer a question or two for me?

Can you take apart the case to get to JUST the lcd panel without screwing everything up too badly?

I like the features of the Xenarc... I just would rather have a flush mount screen as opposed to one in a pod-type mount or even in the case it comes in. I just don't like the looks of it... but I like the functionality aspect... dilemas, dilemas...

Re: Xenarc ovners...

Originally posted by ddt
    I like the features of the Xenarc... I just would rather have a flush mount screen as opposed to one in a pod-type mount or even in the case it comes in. I just don't like the looks of it... but I like the functionality aspect... dilemas, dilemas...
    Im the same way. So, Im going to put mine where the AC controls and the first DIN slot are supposed to be then build some type of enclosure for the setup to cover up the casing. So basically it will be mounted there, but the only thing you will be able to see is the screen itself, Im not going to keep the case exposed. (I dont know if I explained that well lol).
    '03 BMW M3 6 spd.
    Black/Imola Red
    19's

Shuttle XPC w/ AMD 1800+
    Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7"
    Wireless internet through my P900 and bluetooth

Comment

I suppose that that is an option...

... but what about the buttons on the front of the display? I'm not sure exactly what they do, but I'm sure they're not meant to be covered up...

Comment

I just found it... it's damn near a tutorial on EXACTLY what I want to do... enjoy

here you go...

Comment

Wow, very nice. I would be happy if mine turned out half as good :P
          '03 BMW M3 6 spd.
          Black/Imola Red
          19's

Shuttle XPC w/ AMD 1800+
          Opus 150w
          Lilliput 7"

Comment

The components are really crammed in there. They've made use of every square cm of space there was in the box. When you pick it up you can tell it's a hefty unit.

That being said, I've taken mine apart. Mostly to remove a piece of dust between the screen layers. It was fairly straight forward to anyone who's ever worked on electronics.

The buttons are for the on-screen menu. Like any other monitor the Xenarc has on-screen settings for brightness, contrast, etc. I would leave those buttons exposed.

Comment

I agree... but they;re blue...

any tips on getting them a different color? Dye? What are they made of? Hard plastic or rubber?

Comment

Actually, there just face plates for the actual black plastic switches. They were done to make the face look nice. I wouldn't suggest painting them. If nothing else, just get some rubber gromits and cover them up with them when you build your custom case.

Comment

Thanks Skippman! Expect pics in the very near future of the first install. I say this because it will be my first time attempting the carputer thing as well as working with fiberglass.

This should be an experience.

Comment

I have pictures of the internals of the Xenarc if anyone want's them. I've been meaning to set up some sort of web server but to be honest, I have no idea how to go about doing it.

Comment

I would be intrested in those pics! And what kind of hosting were you looking to do? Where you wanting to host a "real" website or just host a few pages so you can share pics etc? If you want to host a real page, you probably want to go with Linux and apache as the web server. If you just want to share files etc... There dozens of quick webhosting software out there where you basically just select which folder you want to be the root directory and anytime someone connects to your IP over http itll display the contents of that dir. Goto download.com and search for http server.
                      '03 BMW M3 6 spd.
                      Black/Imola Red
                      19's

Shuttle XPC w/ AMD 1800+
                      Opus 150w
                      Lilliput 7"

Comment

Originally posted by Skippman
                        I have pictures of the internals of the Xenarc if anyone want's them. I've been meaning to set up some sort of web server but to be honest, I have no idea how to go about doing it.
                        You can zip those bad boys up and send them to me. I'd GREATLY appreciate it. Filesize doesn't matter. I recently got a 100mb attachment no problem. I'll send you a PM with the address. Also I get good deals on domain name registration and even better ones on hosting. I'll... oh I'll PM you.

Comment

What's funny is I work for an ISP. You'd think I'd know about this stuff. I can assemble a 150 workstation LAN and configure it, but I know jack about HTML.

I'm running a 2K Server at my house here for my firewall and router. I could probably just install ISS on that.

Comment

I own a hosting service... as well as host some stuff out of m y house.... if you want help setting up apache on 2k (the best thing to do since IIS is insecure as hell) just send me a pm and I'll help you out.... or if you want I'll give you like 100 megs on one of my servers

-Ryan
                            -- WireSix, Inc. --
                            MP3Car Lives Here!

Comment

ever get those pics downloaded Skip?

Comment

Working...
                              X