Need tips on constructing a console

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips on constructing a console

I've been tring to build a screen console that will let me slide my screen up into my dash board, but now I'm going to build a touch screen unit and I'm worried that it will end up being to large for the space I have available.

I was thinking about creating a new console to sit on the dash with the screen mounted that way, but have no idea what materials to use to create a professional finish.

Thanks

Joel
    350z Roadster,
    Lilliput 7" touch, Opus 250w, 160gb, AMD3500+, 1gb ddr400, geforce 6500 pcie, SiRF Star 3, Wireless G, Sprint CDMA, Bluetooth, Creative iCam Pro, RR, iG 4, Digital FX 4.0

Wood for the framing, fiberglass and Bondo for forming corners, then cover the whole thing in vinyl or tweed.
    KG6OQD
    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

You could also use texture and paint; like I did.
      (See sig link)
      Car computer and console.

Shuttle FV-24, 100gig, DVD, 10.4 VGA TFT, 866MHz, 128MB Ram, Keyspan remote, DC-DC

Comment

Extraordinary console fabrication

Great job on the console and great pictures too!
        2001 740Il - Jet Black with MkIII and more...

Comment

That may be some of the best work I have ever seen on the group. It's right up there with Arbys console. Very nicely done!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Shuttle FV-24, 100gig, DVD, 10.4 VGA TFT, 866MHz, 128MB Ram, Keyspan remote, DC-DC

Comment

Steve I am very impressed!! I think I am going to try something like this on my Z71.
              2002 Z-71 Rolling with an ITX MOBO, 10.4" touchscreen, 40 Gig HD, and a DVD ROM.

http://www.truckputer.com

Comment

That thing is beautiful... I'm getting more ideas here. Thanks!

Well I took a look at the console of the vehicle I'm about to purchase... and there's a big shifter right in the middle. Hrmph!

suggestions? I was going to mount the 7" touchscreen in the dash, but I still needed a head unit. Here are some pics.

Comment

console

Steve, whered you get the mitsu TFT?
                  Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto

Comment

steve!!!

what kind of paint did you use? It looks like the paint matches the grain on your dash. I'd be very interested in how you did that as that was a concern of mine.

Comment

Re: console

Originally posted by ddt
                      what kind of paint did you use? It looks like the paint matches the grain on your dash. I'd be very interested in how you did that as that was a concern of mine.
                      There is a texture spray made by SEM that is applied first. Then a spray interior dye that is applied after the texture. Unfortunatly I don't have the part #'s for them but they are both availible at any local auto body repair suppy store.

That looks like a tuff vehicle to make somthing for; you don't have a whole lot of extra room.
                      If that vehicle were mine I would probably get a head unit that has a motorized fold out display. Like an Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, or somthing to that effect. As far as I know, none have touch screen, but that is not really necessary. Mine works through a keyspan remote, everything works perfectly and I never have to reach for the screen.

Also on that vehicle, I think that the factory stereo is going to have to remain connected even if you replace it. If my memory serves me right, it is integrated with the body control module, and if you dissconnect it, things will stop working and dummy lights on the dash will come on and stay on. We did several of those at my old work and all of them had to have the factory radio relocated and all of the wires extended to keep it connected.
                      Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Lando
                      Steve, whered you get the mitsu TFT?
                      I got it from Apollo Display. If I remember correctly, it was $500.00 for the 10.4inch 500nit display, inverter, and vga controller card.

Comment

My little brother made a suggestion while I've been working on his setup that I can't believe I didn't think of myself.
                        Visit the scrappers and try and pick up a same model dash/console on the cheap. Then you can hack that up or even use it as a base to work from without fear of wrecking a rather integral part of your cockpit
                        Pro web developer looking to take on a web site for free.

Get in touch if you're interested in having some work done.

Comment

Originally posted by bradf0rd
                          My little brother made a suggestion while I've been working on his setup that I can't believe I didn't think of myself.
                          Visit the scrappers and try and pick up a same model dash/console on the cheap. Then you can hack that up or even use it as a base to work from without fear of wrecking a rather integral part of your cockpit
                          Boy, you're slow,.... lol (joke)
                          2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
                          register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Originally posted by THEMP3KID

Boy, you're slow,.... lol (joke)
                            rofl run, boy! before I biatch slap you upside the heed!
                            Pro web developer looking to take on a web site for free.

Get in touch if you're interested in having some work done.

Comment

Re: Re: console

Originally posted by steve671

Also on that vehicle, I think that the factory stereo is going to have to remain connected even if you replace it. If my memory serves me right, it is integrated with the body control module, and if you dissconnect it, things will stop working and dummy lights on the dash will come on and stay on. We did several of those at my old work and all of them had to have the factory radio relocated and all of the wires extended to keep it connected.
                              Hope that helps.
                              I'm not doubting the validity of your statement when I say... that is the single stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's solely directed at Chevrolet.

I'll be checking around though. I really don't want to keep that monster of a unit in the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X