No announcement yet.

Button Relocation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Button Relocation

This is my first time trying to do any sort of plastic bezel modification. Basically, I have this OEM Navigation pod for my Subaru Forester (1st pic). It obviously doesn't have enough room to mount the buttons on the face, but I was thinking about relocating them to the bottom plate, since there is plenty of room and the ribbon cable will reach from the LCD.

There are several different ways to go about this. I don't know what will be the easiest and cleanest way.

1) cut off the button panel on the lilliput and mount the entire panel.
    2) cut holes in the shape of the lilliput buttons and use the stock lilliput buttons.
    3) cut holes in the shape of the lilliput buttons, and keep the cutouts to use for buttons.

What do you guys think would be the best?

Also, what tool should I use to cut the plate? I was thinking of my Dremel with a router bit (?)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    My Worklog

i dont know about your screen but i just installed lili 8" 889gl i have no room for buttons either, so i just place the control buttons behind the screen and use the remote and it work

That's what I was originally going to do, but it seems like I have a perfect place to put them with that bottom panel thingy.
      My Worklog

Anybody have any suggestions?
        My Worklog

Originally posted by vihila View Post
          Anybody have any suggestions?
          Option 1. and try to mold it in like in the second picture.

I found that i could keep a better control and straight line with a hack saw; the dremel got away a couple times.
          OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
          Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
          Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
          BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
          M2-ATX Power Supply
          RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
          Windows XP SP3

I simply wouldn't bother with the screen controls. It probably won't look as clean with them there, and I don't think I've ever had the urge to change any of the settings once I installed mine.

Thanks for the replies. I need to be able to switch back and forth between VGA and Composite quite a bit, since I have video sources other than the computer (a DVD head unit, for instance). For now, I'll just try to get by with the remote. If it turns out to be a problem, I will try to mod the bezel and mount the buttons.

I just finished mounting the touchscreen (transflective!!!). Here's a pic:

My Worklog